A/B Xotic Bass BB Preamp & Xotic AC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jhan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Did a pretty hefty A/B between Xotic Bass BB Preamp & Xotic AC Booster.

Both are GREAT pedals for slightly overdriven to somewhere-in the-middle overdriven. AC Booster is not as good full on overdriven, but then again, it's voiced for guitar, not bass. Has a bit of a mid-hump (as intended) but nothing obnoxious. Actually, it sounds really good. A bit more 'bite' than the BB Preamp. And of course, this pedal is awesome on guitar.

BB Preamp is better overall, as it's voiced for bass, but I tell you . . . in certain situations, it was close.

Both pedals work GREAT with a Sansamp BDDI, IMO. The AC Booster replaces the mids that the BDDI scoops out and leaves the good qualities in there. That means less fiddling around for me. This is a nice setup for Yes or Rush or John Wetton type overdrive, I think. Just have to dial the treble back a bit, as it can get pretty zingy. With Sansamp and BB preamp, I don't know . . . the BDDI seems to add more 'meat' when the Gain is cranked on the BB. I use this combo when more overdive is called for. Have to experiment more.

I like this setup for when I'm switching back and forth from active to passive basses. I can set up one pedal for passive, one for active.

Xotic makes great, GREAT pedals.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021