Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bad sound, on a new amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsbassist, Jan 5, 2002.

1. I just got a used Crate 400 watt amp, from a pawn shop. Well, when I played it at the shop, I was playing it down low, and It sounded great. Well after I got it for christmas I truned it up half way and It has a bad sound that I just can't explain. But it is very bad, like a sound like it's to much for the amp. Even though may tuner is broke, its not that, because no matter what it is tuned to it still is bad. If it helps I have a Peavey forum 4. I hope you guys can help me out here.

2. IT may have a blown speaker, or maybe you need to get a compresser?

3. Blown Speaker...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I would expect a blown speaker to sound bad at any volume.

It would really help if you could describe how it sounds bad. Farting? Scraping? Buzzing? :)

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Or maybe you are only clipping your preamp because you have the gain set to high or too much lows dialed in (or both).

Start with both gain and master volume set very low and all EQ-knobs (or sliders) set flat (in center position). Now it should sound fine just like in the shop when you tested it.

Now adjust the gain level as high as possible without getting distortion - there should still be no problem. Now turn up the master to desired volume.
    (If distortion sets in at a rather low volume level it is likely that the speaker is blown. But you should be aware that most amps do sound less 'clean' if you turn them up - even before you reach the limit)

Now adjust the EQ. If you dial in a lot of bass you will have to turn down the gain level accordingly (to avoid clipping of the preamp).

Hope that helps.
    Matthias

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    In my experience if you clip your preamp it will sound horrible. That might be what is happening to you. Try turning your bass down, and you post amp up. If that doesn't fix it it could be a blown speaker, like mentioned before, but I've had blown speakers and they don't sound that bad, it just kinda sounds like the paper is flopping around. Plus a blown speaker should sound bad at low volumes too.

7. What is a compresser?

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A compressor is just a piece of gear that makes your volume more consistent - it makes quiet notes a little louder, and loud ones a little softer.

Compressors are very useful, but I don't think that is the answer to your question. Matthias' method should help out a lot.

9. Thanks a lot, I did what u told me, and it sounds preatty good, I just wish me e string had a nice clean sound like the rest