1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a bad tone day?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by air_leech, Apr 22, 2010.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    ever got those days where nothing sounds inspiring?

once in a while I'll have a completely aweful bass-day like today for instance.

whatever I did, switch cabs, switch between my basses, change EQ settings - nothing helped me from feeling "meh" about my tone and my playing today.

I'm usually very excited by my tone and the variance between my basses but not today. every one of them sounded plain and I was feeling as if I was playing with gloves.

anyone else get these "bad tone days" once in a while?
    is there anything to do against it except for acknowledging things aren't going to get any better and callling it a day before frustration chimes in?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hate my current bass so much that I actually get angry when I play it. I'm desperately trying to finish a Wishbass to replace it, and I can't get it done soon enough. I've almost completely quit practicing it pisses me off so much.

3. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Thats every day for me, or maybe its just my equipment :bawl:

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    actually I think I have some nice equipment and I have enough variety in basses that I usually have no problem finding a tone I like.

my guess would be that equipment alone wont make you sound good when you're off.
    three days before that I played a reharshal with an acoustic trio (no drums) using a funky 8" vocals combo amp. it didnt sound good but I did feel excited about my playing and this reinforces my theory.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    The most important factor to your sound you. If you dont work nothing else will. Take the day off. It happens for all us, once in a while.

6. I have experienced this myself. I'm a notorious knob turner, and some days no matter what I did with my EQ or pedals I could not get a sound I liked in the mix. Usually I just leave it at the "I've done all I can, I sound bad, but I don't care anymore" point. The next practice I'd walk in and wonder how I sound so good.

Tone is in the fingers, and sometimes my fingers sound like trash.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I feel like when I'm on, my tone is perfect. Every note has character and he tone just growls and cuts... but to me certain rooms just don't have good acoustics and I feel like I sound terrible at places like that no ,atter what i try

8. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    I feel this has a lot to do with how I feel and what shape I'm in...

Yesterday, for example, was downright funny...

Bass Lesson went AWEFULLLL

two hours later, on a jam, I was playing better than ever... afterwards I was even asked to join a band consisting of musicians locally known to be some of the most skilled...

9. I look at it like this: We all have good days, bad days and indifferent days - come back tommorow and things will be different.:bassist:

10. thwump64

thwump64

Feb 2, 2010
    Oshawa, ON
    +1. Just try again the next day.

11. Some days are just like that, nothing you can do about it. But I would advise working through it, not packing it in.

What happens when you are having an off night at a gig? You just going to quit the gig early?

Work through it, get used to it, and you will be able to adapt to the situation easier the next time. Maybe the next time is a gig. You might not be able to get it to sound good to your ear, but the off part is you. It may sound perfect front of house, you just don't know.

Buck up, Buttercup!