Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A basic mixer question:

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Can someone describe a possible use (or two) for the stereo input channels on my cheap mixer? I have a couple channels with XLRs for mics that I've been using but the other two channels are designed for 1/4 stereo (L & R) inputs.

I've been told these are intended for instruments with stereo "outs" (like some Keyboards) but I'm more interested in scenarios that would utilize mics or the bass.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    When you say stereo input channels, do you mean 2 1/4" jacks - one for Left, one for Right - forming a stereo pair? Or, 3-pole 1/4" stereo jacks, each of which carries a stereo signal?

Either way, for recording with mics and/or the bass - you won't need a stereo input, as these things generally produce a mono signal.

Stereo inputs are, indeed, for instruments such as keyboards and sound modules, that produce stereo sound.

3. I mean 2, 1/4" jacks.

I did run a pre-amp out signal to the Left stereo input jack (instructions indicate to use L for mono). But I can only monitor (thru the headphones) sound coming thru the left ear regardless of where the balance is set.

Is this because I'm using a mono signal cord?

Plugging the same mono cord into channels 1 & 2 (1/4" line input) yields sound in both ears.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, it would do - as the inputs for these channels will be mono inputs - rather than one half of a stereo pair. It's quite simple - if you're recording a mono instrument, use a single channel input - and if you're recording something with a stereo output, use the stereo input.

5. I'm sure that my understanding of mono and stereo signals is confused.

I do understand what you mean by using stereo inputs for stereo outputs. My situation is that I have run out of mono channel inputs on my mixer. There are two separate available channels left. One is marked 3/4 and the other 5/6. Each of those is equipped with stereo inputs. I want to run a signal from my preamp to one of those channels and still be able to hear myself in both earpieces like in channels 1 & 2. The signal from the preamp would be mono, right?
    The mixer instructions say that when one wants to run a mono signal to a stereo input to use the input marked "L".

When I do that, all I get is sound in the left ear. All I can figure is that it's due to my cable being mono. What kind of cable, if any, will correct this?

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm... well as far as I can see, it oughtn't be because your cable is mono. If these stereo channels have separate L & R inputs, then the mixer should be expecting a mono input, I imagine - so that shouldn't be the problem.

It sounds like a mixer issue, if you're only getting it through one ear. Have you set the mixer up correctly? See, the input cable you're using shouldn't cause you to only hear it in one ear, I don't think.

What does it say in the mixer's instructions about the stereo input jacks? Does it say they are mono? Does it say whether they're balanced or unbalanced?

7. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sounds like a Behringer MX802A, which I also own. I use the stereo channels for my drum machine, keyboard, and CD player.

8. You're purty good. 'Cept I think it's a 602A.