1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Bass??...a head???...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bilboom, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    Ok so i'm getting some equipment for christmas, but im wondering...what would be better to buy? a bass or a head? I've been thinking about a Gk Fusion 550, but could you tell me what other heads will you recommend? (doesnt have to be all-tube or hybrids...but that they have a really nice sound) and my other option was to get a new bass...currently i have a Yamaha RBX 775 it's a really nice bass...i play some progressive metal, and hard rock, could you tell me some other basses that really worth the money i will spend on them?? between the range of $300-$1100 please i put this here because i know the TB community is really helpfull and i have had past experiences with it, feel free to tell me on what i'm wrong or on what i should look more please, thank you a lot i will read all of your suggestions

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What amp are you presently using?

3. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    im using a Myth 160b probably never heard previously about it... haha

4. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Describe in a little detail?

5. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    metal, rock and hybrid? Hartke HA5500 has all 3 ;)

6. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    active passive imputs, gain, master volume, enhance, effects loop, 160watts 1x15 speaker its a combo it has basic eq + graphic eq, solid state amp, and sounds good for the price, waits 60 pounds Maden in mexico dy myth,

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Sounds good. If you get a head, you will also need another cabinet. Do you have one?

8. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    hmm ..so you don't have a cab yet ..Hartke HA5500 + 4.5xl cab -> it's metal for metal ;)

9. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    i will buy first the head, play it through the speaker of the combo (it has too an option for that) and then later buy the cabinet

10. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Your bass is cool, shop used on here and pick up a good head and cab for under 1000. Pretty much got your pic at that range. Hartke, ampeg, gk, fender, swr, etc.

11. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    thank you a lot i will look more for Hartke ;)
    i dont know a lot about hartke but i will investigate

12. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Hartke makes flexible amps. I could say they are made for rock and metal, but I after I got one I was eable to get nice warm tone for jazz :D Hartke amps are also loud and they have nice equalisers.

For cab I would say one of Hartke alu cone speaker cabs. Best would be Hartke 4.5xl. I was using it with Hartke and GK heads and it never disapointed me. Nice clean tone, front port, 4x10 alu cones make nice punchy sound, you can use it with 5-stringer; you can get 30Hz out of that cab with no problem :)
    And the best part is 5' speaker that gives you extra clearity and can bring out high harmonics :D
    But it has one problem, it's heavy as **** :/
    you can ask me more questions on private message if you want :)

and sorry for my bad english :)