1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A bass delema!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brightdaisy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Brightdaisy

Brightdaisy Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2017
    If anyone has experience playing a ampeg svt 410 standard. And a mesa boogie hlf410 classic. Which cabinet is darker deeper richer?(not sure how to describe)
    I cannot play a mess cab none around to try. My background with cabinets. Is hartke a 410 hd and a 115 hd. I don't like how they sound. I've had them for 18 months . I just got back from playing the svt. And that's what I'm after more of that
    I played the a markbass head because I wanted to be something closer to my head . My opinion the svt blows the 2 hartke cabs away. Does anybody have experience with these cabinets the ampeg vs the mess boogie. Rich deep power. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Did you mean Ampeg hlf410 Classic series and Mesa 410 Standard Powerhouse?

Assuming yes: Not too bad a dilemma. They both weigh about the same. The Made in China Ampeg is 4 ohms, and is noted for its low end. The Made in the USA Mesa comes in 4 ohm or 8 ohm versions, and IME, can dish out huge lows, has a pretty flexible crossover/voicing system, and can deliver a lot of volume if you have a lot of power. I have played both, but not recently, not back to back, and not with the same head.

If you liked the Ampeg hlf410, you would probably like the Mesa Powerhouse. I think I would say the Ampeg is more about lows, which I found a little hard to tameā€”and I play a lot of reggae and Gospel and like big very clean lows. Both are very good cabinets. If you played one and like it, how can you really go wrong?

Can you tell us more about what sort of music you are playing? That might help others advise you.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018