Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bass Dobro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 3, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was flipping through the channels just now and I caught a Garth Brooks video. It looked like there was a guy playing what seemed to be a Bass Dobro. I know it just wasn't an acoustic bass cause it had the metal resonator on it. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I had no idea they made these. The guy was playing with his fingers but can you play them with a slide like a regular dobro? Anyone have any info on them?

2. Check out www.folkofthewood.com They carry a big selection of bass and guitar resonator instruments.I imagine you could use a slide with them if you were so inclined.From the sound clips and talking to others,I hear they are a nice way to get the accoustic sound but with much more volume.

Hope that helps.

3. I have seen that Regal A/E on ebay sometimes and also the Folk of the Woods website, but I have never heard one, heard of anyone who ever heard one or saw one or any other evidence that they actually exist outside of cyberspace.

4. i played one of those once they actually have a good acoustic sound (as opposed to everything else on the market that is)

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The bass in the Garth Brooks Video "Wrapped up in you" appears to me to be a fender resonator bass [check the f holes-they're the fender "F"] . First time i've ever saw one. Now, one is on the GAS list. :D thats all

6. The one in the Garth video is definately a Fender, "F" holes. I've never seen a Fender one in a shop so that may be a one-off or something. I know that Johnson does a production model bass dobro. I played one of their's at a shop in Chattanooga. It sounded really cool but didn't have the volume I expected. If I buy an acoustic bass I want something that will be able to compete with guitars, banjos, fiddles, etc... sound level wise.
    My electric through my little amp has trouble making enough noise to be able to be heard over a bluegrass jam session.