A bass for Metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Armageddon, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Armageddon

Feb 2, 2001
    Greetings to the bass-player community!

In fact I am drummer. I have practiced this instrument for years and I am very interested in starting playing bass.

I think I will only play bass for my own satisfaction (but who knows) because drums are my instrument, and it takes enough of my time.

I am a Metal fan and I was wondering which bass will fit my style.

What I mean :
    - a 4 strings bass
    - great look for metal (K X V)
    - about 400/500$
    - I play fast riffs, heavy rythms and sometimes harmonics.
    - Fingering is not for me, I use a mediator.

I looked on BCRich bass guitars, but someone told me the sound was bad.
    I also looked on Jackson basses (KBX) and did not have any opinion.
    Someone told me to look for Epiphone but I did not find any cool looking basses in the stores around me.
    Are Aria basses cool?

Thanks for your support.
  2. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Maybe try the ESP F Series....

They are great looking, and feature EMG Pickups.

Or, if you wanna spend more money, go with Spector or Warwick. Maybe ESH (www.esh-basses.com) is good for you, to.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For beginner-level rockbasses, look into Ibanez's and Yamaha's lines. Just about any bass looks good for metal :cool: - infact, just about any bass look good for just about any music. So go fish around, try few in shops and pay no attention to looks. How it plays and how it sounds is more important, afterall it doesen't do much good just looking how cool you look with it at the front of the mirror.

But what the ??? is a "mediator"?
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hamer makes some great rock'n'roll products. They
    can be expensive, but Bass NW (www.bassnw.com) has
    a used Hamer USA made with P/U and J for $499.00.

It's not pointy or anything, but it's black and
    looks kind of sinister I guess. Do you have to be
    able to poke someone's eye out with it for it to
    be suitable for metal? ;-)
  5. I offer this advice to all "what bass?" questions, get a P bass, either new MIM or used MIA, looks good, plays good, sounds good.
  6. Armageddon

Feb 2, 2001
    Hey! I don't only want to look cool with my bass!
    I know the sound is the most important thing, and that's because of the powerful sound of basses that I like to play that instrument.

But I like beautifull instruments too (even if beauty is a personnal view...) and I wanted to have expert's opinions to avoid mistakes.

Anyone can tell me if Jackson basses are good?
  7. mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    A bass I was reading about the other day which may be cool for metal is the Schecter Scorpion. It's a 4 string but it's tuned B/E/A/D instead of concert pitch, which is good for keeping up with those cheaters with the 7 string guitars. :) Plus it's got a killer look. I just read about it, so obviously I don't know how it sounds. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
  8. Yeah I really want a Scorpion, since I tune to B on a 4 string (which you probably already know from my gazillion posts :)) I won't have to buy thicker strings, file the nut, adjust string height, etc. I don't know about the sound though, someone on here said BP rated the sound bad. But I'll probably have to play one myself.
  9. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Try a Yamaha BBN4, I have that one and its a very versitile bass, sounds great with pick and fingering and its easy on your pocket, good sound in my opinion too. Or a Epiphone Thunderbird Reverse. I dont like the way it sounds finger style but good with a pick and a good look to it.
  10. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Forgot to mention this about this in my other post. The Scorpion. Thin neck. Looks cool but its close string placement turned me off(I have big hands) Though it does make for quicker playing. Decent sound, though I really need to give one anouther try before actually to be certin on it
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey!! I am a former drummer and now playing metal on bass.

I am playing a MIA Fender Jazz. Works fine for me. I'm doing everything from Judas Priest to early Fates Warning to Maiden. Not messing with any thrash/death metal yet.

Alot of the metal bassists I know play Ibanez SG series basses. I know a few playing the LTD's by ESP.

Just play some and see what feels right for you.
  12. They are punchy, sleek, about $500, have 4 strings and definitely look Metal. I'm gonna try and probably buy one today.
  13. One of the best sounds I've heard from a metal bass player was Steve Harris and he uses a P-Bass with a maple neck. You may want to look at a P-bass deluxe if your interested in a variety of sounds.
  14. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
  15. I'm still wondering what a Mediator is. And what did you mean by "fingering is not for me"? Let me give you this one suggestion for a metal bass. Ibanez ATK300. This bass is not like any other Ibanez and it sounds awesome. It looks good too, big and heavy with a lot of chrome on it. For some reason I never hear anyone mention this bass but I garruntee you it will not dissappoint. They are cheap, around $500, and have excellent quality.

The ultimate metal bass!
  16. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, that Ibanez ATK could be good idea. Funny how it never crossed my mind. It's like cheap Stingray or something :) I have been thinking about getting a fiver sometime soon, I now have to consider between ATK305 and Yamaha RBX765a.
  17. I have bought it.
    I've found it EXTREMELY convenient for picking, when hung low. To me, it has very clear beautiful sound when picked. Though I'm a little confused the way it sounds with my ODB-3. It's also very playable and has already inspired me to write a new riff.
    Just as far as a metal bass is concerned.

BTW it has NO dead spots, despite what some reviewers mentioned.

PS "Mediator" is "pick".
  18. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I play Metal and i think my Fender Jazz V MIM sounds great it truly gives me the lows i like, And it wont bust your wallet i got mine for under $400, Plus it looks nice when i think of Jazz Basses i think of Geddy Lee.