Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What would you people recommend for playing Trash Metal?
    Specificly a 5 String Bass, with LOTS of balls and Dual Pickups. (No Fenders please, no Stingrays)
    Oh... and of course VERY TIGHT strings. (Neck rigidity)
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Modulus Quantum 5, or a wenge necked Warwick Corvette.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Isn't it "thrash metal"? Or is that something else? Am I too old, or what?
  4. The bass you want is the one you can afford to buy.:rolleyes:
  5. It is infact Thrash metal not trash metal. With that being said I also recomend the Modulus Quantum 5 if you can afford it. I will be purchasing one when I get the denero myself.

6. Lakland,

Look at the guy in Papa Roach.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Damn. I be more concerned about how many Mackie slaves and how many SWR Megoliaths I'd need.
  8. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000

ESH Stinger REAL Gothic Edition.

Picture : http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=637760&a=7383796&p=25029220

The bass retails at around 1,600 Dollars, Real Gothic costs an extra 170, and Real Gothic Means a Acid Dipped Body and 2 Special Kent Armstrong-Made ESVG Humbuckers.
    These are specially made for Esh, and specifically made for Metal. I play Metal too, (the Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Old Metallica Style), and own a Four String. Nothing can do a better job for me. Not even my Sadowskys.

Or, Take a look at the Rickenbacker 4003S.

Best wishes,

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I will be using a 1000Watt Ampeg 4x10 + 1x15 Stack.. (of course I would like a Megagoliath... but.. no money)

I was thinking of the Spector NS2000/5 wich has a 35" scale or the REX2000/5 wich is just the same but the Pantera Signature with the thunderbird type body
  10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    maybe by "trash metal" he means Limp Bizkit,Korn etc.
  11. Limp **** and Korn ain't thrash, they're pop (they have no sack). PANTERA is the kings of power/thrash and Rex plays SPECTOR. If the USA signature model is out of your price range then buy a Czech (Euro) Spector. I own 3 of them now so I REALLY do recommend them. Test one out at your local dealer then Check the prices at http://www.musiciansfriend.com because they have some super sales going on now. Rex doesn't play the Rex NS-2000 (affordable) model so why would you. They're alright for what they are but the Rex Spector NS-2000 isn't the ultimate bass.
  12. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Spector NS2000/5 replace the EMG-HZ's with EMG40DC's

13. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I DIDN'T say they are thrash,they obviously aren't...but you have to admit they are TRASH:p
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Woulden't buy a bass strictly for metal. You want to play something else, you need to get another bass. Besides that 'acid dipped' finish looks damn ugly. Well perhaps it should if it's a metal bass. Warwicks are always good for metal tho. And hmm perhaps those upper end Ibanez ATK's that have added jazz pickup or one of their BTB's.

15. Then you'd also have to replace the bridge, tuners, frets. Lastly, the body wood is the most important factor in tone.
    Although pickups and electronics are a factor in sound, they are less of a factor than mot realize. The body wood and construction method of the body wood is the resonating sound that pickups pick up!
  16. I could drop in other adjectives but "trash" will do for this forum!;)
  17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I own 3 basses right now, 2 Cort Curbows (6 & 5 Strings) and a Ibanez SR506, but I use very low action, so when trying to play ultra-dipper fast with fingers or a pick i will get thath clickity-clackity sound witch my basses and also some fretbuzz because I use tapping a lot and like very low action.
    So what Im looking for is to buy ANOTHER bass.
    The Ibanez ATK is not for metal, I had the ATK300, sounds goot but not for metal.
    Warwick is one I would like.. In fact: Streamer LX
  18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  19. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah arent spectors good for thrash/death/trash metal? i have one and i guess it could go good with something heavy but i dont play heavy so i wouldnt know. the czech models are suprisingly affordible. check them out at a GC or something.
  20. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yeah yeah, you said no fenders, but the bassist for Nevermore, one of the top thrash bands in the world right now, is playing 4 and 5 string fender P basses.

the bassist for Shadow's Fall is playing an Epiphone SG bass. Sounds fine to me.

Bassist for the Supersuckers is playing a SG bass as well.

I see alot of guys in bands like In Flames and Cannibal Corpse still playing old Jacksons and Charvels.

Several bands are still holding true to BC Rich's as well.

Play what works for you, not what works for them.

hehehe...Dragonlord...trash metal...korn...you beat me to it... hahaha