Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bass guitarist looking to buy his fits UB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sandman1278, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Im been looking to buy a new bass and one of my ideas was an Upright Bass, was wondering what i would need to look for, I have been playin bass for 3 years, own a lined fretless, and have played a stand up on several occasions, i wanted to know if there are ones availbe in my $500-$1k price range.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's a lot of information in the Newbies section at the top of the 'Basses' sub-forum.

In short, though, you're not going to get in for much less than $1000 unless you luck out with a garage sale find or something similar. If you bump up your budget to a $2K max you're going to have many more choices.

3. i will probly be another year or two before I end up getting one then, I'll just end up a getting a bass guitar within my price range, thanks for responding :)

4. DONP1217

DONP1217

Feb 6, 2005
    Massachusetts

You can pick up an Engelhardt, from a number of sources, for around $900.00.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    But add a good setup, decent strings, pickup, etc, etc, and he's pushing $1,500 pretty fast.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh -- and don't forget Uncle Sam's cut...

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If you are interested in raking up the loot for a DB, it seems to me easier if you would consider yourself half way there rather than deciding to pick up your 4th slab and start over.

But hey, it is your $$.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Sandman, i agree with Chasarms statement of just saving longer. For [depending on how much you're willing to spend] you can get an Engelhart setup for around $1500-2000 depending on which model as Ray Parker said. If you're serious about wanting to play DB on a more regular basis-i emphasize coming from the same side that having a well setup upright bass along with a teacher can open up many doors that simply buying another electric can not [i am a newbie @ DB-been playing for around 4 years now, have been playing BG for 7-8 years].

That's all

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed on all accounts. After getting some minor fingerboard work done, I ended up paying $1175 for my Engelhardt M-1 with an adjustable bridge, Helicore strings, and cable-stung tail-piece. Shen Strunal and Christopher also have quality basses under $1500, so you aren't that far off. If you are so easily discouraged by the price then maybe URB isn't in your future- everything about these beauties is expensive, period, haha!