1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A bass guitarist looking to buy his fits UB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sandman1278, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Im been looking to buy a new bass and one of my ideas was an Upright Bass, was wondering what i would need to look for, I have been playin bass for 3 years, own a lined fretless, and have played a stand up on several occasions, i wanted to know if there are ones availbe in my $500-$1k price range.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's a lot of information in the Newbies section at the top of the 'Basses' sub-forum.

In short, though, you're not going to get in for much less than $1000 unless you luck out with a garage sale find or something similar. If you bump up your budget to a $2K max you're going to have many more choices.

3. i will probly be another year or two before I end up getting one then, I'll just end up a getting a bass guitar within my price range, thanks for responding :)

4. DONP1217

DONP1217

Feb 6, 2005
    Massachusetts

You can pick up an Engelhardt, from a number of sources, for around $900.00.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    But add a good setup, decent strings, pickup, etc, etc, and he's pushing $1,500 pretty fast.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh -- and don't forget Uncle Sam's cut...

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If you are interested in raking up the loot for a DB, it seems to me easier if you would consider yourself half way there rather than deciding to pick up your 4th slab and start over.

But hey, it is your $$.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Sandman, i agree with Chasarms statement of just saving longer. For [depending on how much you're willing to spend] you can get an Engelhart setup for around $1500-2000 depending on which model as Ray Parker said. If you're serious about wanting to play DB on a more regular basis-i emphasize coming from the same side that having a well setup upright bass along with a teacher can open up many doors that simply buying another electric can not [i am a newbie @ DB-been playing for around 4 years now, have been playing BG for 7-8 years].

That's all

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed on all accounts. After getting some minor fingerboard work done, I ended up paying $1175 for my Engelhardt M-1 with an adjustable bridge, Helicore strings, and cable-stung tail-piece. Shen Strunal and Christopher also have quality basses under $1500, so you aren't that far off. If you are so easily discouraged by the price then maybe URB isn't in your future- everything about these beauties is expensive, period, haha!