1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A bass kept showing up in my dreams...So I had Dingwall make it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Sep 23, 2020.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The title isn't hyperbole...

A while back I had a bass showing up in my dreams pretty regularly. Not in any kind of 'magical' sense, but every time I had a gig anxiety dream, it was the bass I left at home, or couldn't find back stage or whatever. Oddly, it wasn't ANY of the awesome basses I already have, and I have some pretty well loved memorable ones.

It was the bass in the back seat of my car in an old beat up black 70's Fender case, or the one I was grabbing to go on stage. This happened across a few months. Every time I came close to forgetting about it, there it was again. I wasn't planning on buying a new bass and have been super happy and feel with what I have...

...but this ONE bass kept showing up. It was worn and loved but it was definitely the SAME BASS. It wasn't every night, but after more than a handful of times across a couple of months it was starting to stand out as a thing.

One morning after a particularly vivid dream, I got out of bed & it felt like there was something to this; that SOMEONE or SOMETHING was trying to get through. My psyche? A higher power? A dude with a radio transmitter sending supermicroG5radiowaves at the fillings in my molars? I dunno. But it had reached a point where I couldn't ignore it.

...So I sat down and emailed Dingwall guitars. It was the easiest bass order ever. No second guessing, no back and forth on specs. It took me about 5 minutes to spec out the bass in my dreams. I'd seen it so many times. P-Bass. Dark green. Black pickguard. Dark fretboard with dots. In my mind it was a stripped down bad@ss sledgehammer of a bass. No fancy wood, no frills. I didn't fuss the specs...that wasn't the brief from dreamland. The bass I was seeing when I slept was the bass I ordered. About 20 minutes after my initial email I sent my deposit.

That bass showed up today.

Candy 'apple' dark green, 3-ply gloss black pickguard, 5 string Dingwall Super-P
    IMG_0001.JPG

Alder body (just like a classic Precision should have), passive electronics, And yes...the bass in my dreams DID have the bridge pickup. My only concession to real-world contingencies is that I asked for a switch for series/parallel for the bridge pickup. It's a push-pull on the volume so it remains simple and stripped down looking.

Chrome hardware. To me this color is '70's muscle car green.' I was born in 1970 and grew up in the late 70's and early 80's when well worn 70's American iron was cheap and plentiful. Lots of the car guys in school were driving GTOs and 440 SS's. Many of them were deep metallic green. They had chrome. This has chrome...also like a classic P-Bass should.

IMG_9999.JPG
    Like those old cars...stripped down and simple. No extra switches and knobs, no power windows or A/C. ;) Just beef. No matching headstock or fancy inlays or swirly top wood. Good dark rosewood would have worked (in my dreams, it's a 60's or 70's dot neck 'dark fretboard' classic)...rosewood isn't a great option right now. So I said "something dark...Ebony or Ziricote? Not feeling wenge, etc. for this one...And so macassar ebony it is.

IMG_0015.jpg

The dots and side dots are luminlay. One of my few modern concessions. After being in enough dark playing situations or places with bad stage lighting/production...I swore I'd never get another bass without it. This is the exact vibe and look to the fretboard from dreamland. You see a lot of Super-P's and Super-J's with block inlays and they look awesome, but there was never a moment when this bass didn't have classic dots.

Matching headstock? A good P-bass doesn't need no stinkin' matching headstock. Show.Me.The.Maple.

IMG_0020.JPG
    Oooh look...you can see how thick that slab of ebony is. The inlaid Dingwall D in black/dark grey marbled MOP totally works the vibe. More of that shiny chrome goodness along with the shop-machined Dingwall string retainer. Another cool little bit of kit.

IMG_0021.JPG
    ...look old school, but 'ultralite' on the backside. No divin' going on here. You can see a bit of the nice vintagey but thin 'D' shaped neck profile.

I had a beloved old 73 P for years. I never should have gotten rid of it. And there's been a hole in my bass-world since then, though it took a while for me to realize it. To me P-basses are the perfect bass distillation of the classic muscle car. They're all about brawn and brute force power...less about aerodynamics and more about a big block to push you through the wind. This bass captures that vibe perfectly. I used to play Jazz basses...until I found "MY" Precision. Then I couldn't ever go back. The Dingwall pickups are split coil inside and when I picked up my first one, that similarity to the Precision is what sold me on it. Though, picking up this bass (I haven't even plugged it in yet!) this is even more like going home. There's something to the timbre of what it does acoustically that the minute I started playing it, I said "yeeeeaaahhhh...there it is..." Its the kind of 'you're home now' vibe that gives you a shiver up your spine.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

The beautiful Mrs. Skies who has to deal with me doing rando stuff like waking up and running off to order new custom basses because I had some dreams really is a fan too...but it wasn't until we went outside and she demanded to take a picture of me with it in the sun that she noticed it wasn't just 'green' but has the most beautiful candy-apple-metallic sparkle to it.

This IS my happy face. Really. I swear.

IMG_8401.JPG

Bonus points...it matches our beehive...

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    “No really honey, I HAD to buy it, I kept having recurring dreams!”

Seriously, great story and beautiful bass. Play great music with it.

Ikkir, TinIndian, FretFree and 11 others like this.
  3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I've joked along the way that it was possible that I could play this bass once live music started again, never once thinking that it would be ready before we could play again. And that's not in the least about the Dingwall Custom timeline and everything about how things are in the world right now.

4. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Looks like a great time to play!

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Looks like a great time to play!

BurningSkies likes this.
  6. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Damn, thats HOT. I have a Sherwood Green Am Spec Tele that lights up like that in the lights. Can't wait to hear some sound clips ;)

BurningSkies likes this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Hoping to plug in for a bit later...alas working (from home) until 6pm! Luckily I can still have it in my lap until then.

jumbodbassman, juledude and Lenny JG like this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yep. I luckily have my interfaces, etc. at home and should be able to do it. I don't know if the world is lacking in or swimming in Super-P samples at this time or not.

Ender_rpm likes this.
  9. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Looks fantastic and I'll bet is super smooth to play. That green is like a chameleon; way different colors depending on the light. Very cool!

juledude likes this.
  10. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Well every father holds their newborn before they can play.. ;):D Enjoy!

BurningSkies likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Really interesting for me. I've been playing Dingwall long-scale basses for a REALLY long time now (got my first in 2005 and haven't looked back) Just hundred and hundreds of shows and countless thousands of hours of play time. There are a number of geometric differences here, but it DOES play just super low and smooth. The neck is as close to flat as you can go, which is where I like it. The spacing is 19mm at the bridge, while my others are 18, though I don't seem to have any trouble with that at all. The while the same width as my others feels a bit wider, but that's probably due to the shallow D shaped neck contour, my others are asymmetric. Again, not a problem just a difference. It's also 32-35" compared to the 34-37" which I won't know how it plays until I'm standing and strapped up. As of right now, I can say it's super fun to play.

Doh! I've spent so much of my life avoiding newborns! ;) If they were only all basses.

juledude and Lenny JG like this.
  12. No they weren’t!!! Either 350, 427, or 454 SS’s...
    440 was a Chrysler engine - most famous configuration was a 6-pak (3 x 2bbl carbs)
    Sorry couldn’t help myself...

nice frickin’ Bass though...

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Actually the dudes I knew who were into 'em all wanted 442's. ;) Mistype on my behalf. I can still hear 'em in the thick accent talking about them.

juledude, HolmeBass and el jeffe bass like this.
  14. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    Is that a macassar ebony fingerboard. It looks sweet!
    My p/j has an ebony neck (not macassar) and it definitely still fits in the precision world.
    Very cool story.

BurningSkies and juledude like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That is a very nice looking bass. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

BurningSkies likes this.
  16. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Yeah, very nice! I totally get the muscle car color. Though to be honest, I'm even more impressed that the beehive is that color!

Love the ebony board. Enjoy that bass!

non and BurningSkies like this.
  17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The 70’s spec’d (Northern Ash and Quartsawn Maple?) Super J3X in a similar color that @Sheldon D. brought to NAMM two years ago is still one of the best sounding and playing basses I’ve ever heard.

If it hadn’t already been sold I might have made my credit card very angry ;)

juledude and BurningSkies like this.
  18. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    That is gorgeous. I need better anxiety dreams

bluepeep, BurningSkies and SemiDriven like this.
  19. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Sweet baby Jesus! Love the color. My best friend in high school had a 69 Firebird that was almost that exact shade. Congrats!:bassist:

20. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Awesome looking bass...
    I can't help but think that some time in the future you are going to be at a gig and can't find your nice new dream bass.... because it will have been left at home or stolen from back stage or whatever.:laugh:

I'm a skier and lived for many years in a ski town in Australia. I really love those awesome fresh snow days and over the years I've had many dreams where it is one of those days and I never make it onto the hill due to not being able to find an important piece of gear like my ski boots, lift pass, skis (usually only one) or numerous other things stopping me skiing. This has actually never happened to me so I'm hoping the same will be the case for your dream bass. :thumbsup:

JRA and BurningSkies like this.