Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bass player died in my town while performing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jun 7, 2002.


  1. I had forgotten to post this thread but today I looked for info on the web about the success, this happened a few months ago..

    The spanish band Duminguet was performing at a local club called Kronos.. Argentine bassist Carlos Rivolta was taking a rest while his band drummer played a solo. He supposely sat on a steel lader and automaticly received an electric shock. After 20 seconds he was dead.

    I couldn´t find any articles in english so no links here..

    The most valid reason for his death, I found among many articles, was that his equipment was not earthed.. Certanly other factors made this happen but thus I don't know much about electricity, I would say it's very important to have our equipment earthed, especially when performing on a stage.
     
  2. Johnny BoomBoom

    Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

    Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When playing live I tend to use a circuit breaker for my amp .I now that the biggest risk is for musicians who play amplified equipment who also sing - ie close proximity to the mics. I like to use circuit breaker to cut the juice. Don't know if it came to it how much it would help me, but it gives me piece of mind!


    This is a very good point you have raised - many musicinas have suffered shocks over the years, most have been lucky enough to live to tell the tale.
     
  3. gweimer

    gweimer

    Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Several years ago, guitarist Paul Harvey of Stone the Crows was electrocuted on stage because of a poorly and hastily repaired cable. It's always wise to check your gear, and keep your immediate surroundings free from potential danger - and that could include the habit of putting a glass of water on the floor near you (a habit which I have been guilty of).
     
  4. that's why i always have a UPS with short-protect on it.. ;)

    if the earth-wire gets a current thru it that is higher than 10v.. WHOOMP powerdown.
     
  5. Yeah Luis I'm here in Spain and it was big news among the indie rock community. Sad.

    The thing though is: he was SWEATY... sitting on A METALLIC LADDER... with his bass PLUGGED IN... plus sorry Luis but ALL NEWS POINT TOWARD SEVERELY INSECURE ELECTRIC WIRING at the club.

    Four factors which cleraly worked against Carlos.

    We all have to take electric material seriously. Plus we must watch out so that places where we play are secure...
     
  6. td1368

    td1368

    Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'm not familiar with the group or the bassist but it is sad to here of life ending accidents. Especially one that seems so unnecessary.

    There was an article in Bass player magazine a few months back about making sure your equipment is grounded. I think they recommend checking the plugs with a voltmeter before you plug in. I'll try to dig up up the article if anyones interested.
     
  7. That is messed up. I'm Sorry for the guy that lost his life. :(

    Mike J.
     
  8. Boplicity

    Boplicity Supporting Member

    Given the conditions that may have combined to cause the untimely and unfortunate death of the bassist, I'd say it is nothing short of a miracle that such deaths to musicians do not occur more often.

    I say that because I have seen some of the most unsafe use of equipment, including faulty cables, damaged electrical outlets, too many plugs going into one outlet, jerry rigged amplication equipment, incorrect extension cords, spilled water and beer lying on the floor or spilling over electical equipement, etc. You name it, I've pretty much seen it.

    Musicians probably don't think safety is an issue in their line of work, but it most certainly is. We are very lucky tragic accidents don't occur more often.
     
  9. Mcrelly

    Mcrelly

    Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    battery back up? I've never thought of that! How many watts is it rated for?

    On the other posts: Go Wireless!!!
     
  10. brianrost

    brianrost Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That was Les Harvey.

    Paul Harvey is a radio commentator and I don't think he even plays guitar :D
     
  11. NJL

    NJL

    Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is very sad

    :(
     
  12. thumbtrap

    thumbtrap

    Jun 26, 2003
    RG Keen refers to the ground leg switch on the back of old Fenders as "The Death Switch". It is evil, and inherently unsafe - and I agree. I don't care if it's the only surviving Paisley Vibroman with factory Bullfrog speakers in the entire stinkin world. The death switch must go.

    I think I'll go fix my two prong Fisher stereo amp that floats hot tomorrow morning.
     
  13. PhatBasstard

    PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

    Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Besides hating being tied to a cable, this is another big reason I almost always use my wireless (plus I'm a Vocalist and I like my lips attached to my face :eek: ).

    Back in the 70s, Ace Frehley of KISS almost died when electrocuted on stage. Even though he survived the initial shock, everybody was worried because there's a chance that prolonged or excessive exposure to electricity can cause the blood to start to break down (kind of like artificial leukemia).
     
  14. Kevin V

    Kevin V

    Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    Anyone have any information/links on how to prevent this stuff from happening.
    I was playing a friend's house one time, and in the room was a metal lamp. While playing, I accidentally backed up into it and received a big shock. My arms flew up...and it felt really weird. It was pretty scary, heh. My back also hurt a lot after that. Any info would help, thx.
    P.S.- What does earthed mean?
     
  15. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just goes to show ya' ... you shouldn't play bass.
     
  16. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]
     
  17. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tim , the reason I put your avatar in that other thread was because I thought you might like it without the wall remnant and other crud.
     
  18. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Gotcha, I did not notice a difference between them, and just thought you were being........munji. Regardless, I found it humorous, and thought I'd return the favor.

    PS, I got to use the eden setup last night live for the first time, WOW!

    /end hijack
     
  19. tdlee460

    tdlee460

    Jun 12, 2006
    Many musicians have died over the years due to poor grounding... To prevent this yourself, take you pickguard off and snip the wire between the bridge and the tone pot. This will affect tone because the wire is used to get rid of feedback and fuzz. You can substitute the purpose of the grounding wire by takeing aluminum or copper foil and putting it all over the control cavity (the cut out part on the body so the controls fit). If there is a bad circuit in the amp or the wiring to the outlet, it sends up to a few hundred volts through the grounding wire to the strings and shocks the player. I would definately reccomend this precaution and tell anyone else you know that plays an electric instrument to do so also. Thanks.
     
  20. jeff_bass28

    jeff_bass28 Guest

    Mar 21, 2006
    Grounded. We Americans have to be different from the rest of the world- we say 'ground' instead of 'earth,' we drive on the right...;)