Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bass POD pro with a big ol' power amp into an Acme B-4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Yeah, it would sound good. I wish I would have thought of that!

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. It'd sound OK, but not great.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. NOOOOO!!!! Don't waste your money!!!!

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. How would this sound? I'm thinking that, since Acme cabs have no real color of their own, and running the POD directly through a power amp, i'd have a pretty good bass amp modeler. Or am I wrong? By the way, i'm thinking of an 8-ohm cab and a 2000 or so watt power amp, probably a Carvin.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, you don't want that. Spend the money on a rig.

3. Seems like you need a real preamp first. plug that into the pod, then amp.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I *definitely* wouldn't recommend that. The POD was designed for instrument input. Mine doesn't like preamp output, even at low levels. Noisier and a little distorted.

Running the POD out into a preamp would probably be much better. Then again, seems like I got some problem when I tried that too ... can't remember.

The original idea wouldn't necessarily be bad. I'd try out the POD first though. I'm finding I don't use mine much. I didn't really like the presets and never really got anywhere making my own.

The good thing about your idea though is that you could always buy a good preamp later, and then you've got a pretty killer rig.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    That might sound ok, but If you wanted to spend that much money on a modeling amp, I would have to suggest the BAM 210. Much less headache, and probably would sound better.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As far as I know, the Bass Pod Pro works just fine as a preamp into a power amp, which is what I think you're asking.

Or, get a SansAmp RBI, which is a killer modeling preamp that sounds better than the Bass Bod Pro, to my ear anyway! Then, mail me half of the $300 you'll save.

7. Or now the new Bam head and do whatever he wants cabwise. Maybe get the new Peavey cabs designed to go along with the Bam head.

8. This rig would sound pretty solid, but I agree that you should check out the Pod extensively beforehand. In a few tries at two stores, I was able to create some pretty nice tones. However, I'm not normally into effects and I've yet to find myself in any situation that calls for them. As such, I tended to leave the effects alone and go for a pretty straight-ahead cabinet model (nothing too vintage or exaggerated; pretty boring, really), which worked out okay. In that case, you could simply opt for a MUCH better standard preamp (i.e., Aguilar, Alembic, Demeter, Kern, etc.). JMHO. :)

However, a well-fed Acme should keep you smiling. I've loved mine even as I gripe about having to lug the amp to drive it. I'm a double bassist - I have to gripe about gear size and weight! :D I would suggest opting for two B2 cabs - that configuration is quite flexible and scalable. Good Luck!

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Beat me to it! I can't wait to try the two new Peavey heads out.

I'm actually excited to try the new Pro 500 out, even though I hate tubes. Fully parametric? I'm guessing it'll be VERY versatile.

I might even end up with a new rig, as soon as I can get the $$$ together.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been using my POD pro as a preamp with various cabinets and power amps for a while. I sounds great. It works fine as a preamp. There is no need for another one.

I bought the POD pro because I often use it alone with no amp at all. The house PA in the Church I work is 20K watts with all EAW subs, mains and wedges. I don't need an amp. The PA sounds better than any amp I have anyway. For this application, it is perfect.

But, even when using it with a power amp and cabinet, it sounds good. It might be worth it depending on what you do.

If you are looking for one killer tone for what you do, I don't recommend it. It is a pretty expensive thing just ot use for a preamp. If you want to spend $600, buy a Kern IP-777. Buy the amp or preamp that gives you the tone you like.

But am not in a band. I work with many different players in different situations, and I am always looking to dial up a sound suitable for whatever type of work I am going. I play almost all styles of music. For me, the POD is perfect.

Chas

11. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I also agree with Chasarms

I use the same setup with an EAW system with In-Ear monitors in a Top 40 band. I'm always getting compliments from other bass players on the sound.

I also use it as a preamp with my original band with a Eden rig. My only complant is that in some venues it has a slight hiss, this tends to upset the sound guy so I have a SansAmp DI as a backup.

Good Luck on your quest, hope this helps :cool:

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Where'd you hear peavey was making new heads?

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Look at their site. They've already released them.

Winter NAMM 2002 Peavey Releases