Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a bass that isn't quite what you expect

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 16, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I just had a very interesting experience with a Roscoe bass. It wasn't quite what I expected. I wanted it for one thing, but it turned out to be good for entirely another. I almost made the mistake of selling it. :)

Did you ever have an experience like that? Where you wanted your bass to "fit the mold", but it turned out to be cast out of an entirely different fabric?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's not easy to cast something in fabric, so I would say that if you have a bass that's cast in a fabric hang on to it - it's bound to be valuable someday!

3. YEAH...I got a wishbass to get that "Victor Wooten" thang happening... :eyebrow:

ummmm...just kidding...I bought it as an inexpensive experiment into fretless...and after some tweaking and twiddling...I've found it to actually be a quite usuable instrument.

...BELIEVE IT....OR NOT

4. yeah, my old essex bass, i got it in order to soup it up with a new bridge, new pickups...the works...anyways, as soon as i got it out of the box, it was instantly my #1 bass, without modifications or anything...i ended up liking it so much, after i sold it, i got some SX pickups and put them in my mim fender jazz...and it made my mim sound so much better!

I love it!

one day when i actually have a paying job, i want to get another SX