A Bass under a 1000bux

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Rock, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Carvin LB-70

7 vote(s)
  2. Fender American Standard P-Bass

21 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez Soundgear SR800A

3 vote(s)
  4. Peavey G-bass

2 vote(s)
  5. Washburn XB-400

2 vote(s)
  1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i need ideas on a new bass guitar under 1000 bux.
    i was thinking a fender american standard jazz, a carvin LB70, peavey G-bass,IBANEZ SOUNDGEAR SR800A,or a SAMICK SCBMIG.....
    help me choose
    f u have others in mind please tell me...

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Welcome to TB A Rock. [​IMG]

Out of your list, I picked the one that will probably get the least votes, the Washburn XB-400. I had this bass in a 4 & 5 string version & I liked them alot but my need for new gear forced me to sell them. [​IMG] I've seen them on eBay fairly cheap & they play great & sound great. Kinda like a modern Jazz Bass w/humbuckers & active electronics.

If you want to spend closer to a grand, I suggest you visit Musician's Friend. <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010717181226209246103105149441?pid=514416"><font color=white><b>CLICK HERE</b></font></a> to see a Spector NS-4 CR which normally sells for <b>$1349.99</b> that is on sale for $899.99. I bought one of the 5 string version's & it's a KILLER BASS!!!!!!
  3. out of the basses you had listed in the poll i would choose a p-bass just for the coolness factor. you mentioned a j-bass in your post but it wasn't part of the poll btw.
  4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome to Talkbass. :)
    When deciding on a bass to buy, you should always try out the ones you are considering first. But if it were me, I'd go for the American P-Bass. It is able to "mold" to fit most styles of music and IMO the sound is the warmest, 'bassiest' sound out of the choices you listed. But if you have enough money, the American Fender Active Jazz bass is like the P, but with more tonal options and better slap tone, I'd go for it :). Hope I've been of some assistance.

5. i chose carvin but there are many other outstanding basses under 1000 bucks if you look:

cort anything... decent basses for cheap $$$
    warwick corvette - standard seen em at 800 new
    Ernie Ball music man - seen em used for under 700
    used rickenbacker - saw for 900 bucks
    there are plenty of good spectors under 1000
    i even once saw a nice pedulla for 999 bucks.

always go for used stuff
  6. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree. Used is the way to go :D!
  7. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    the sgr will be under 500 plus i just bought one and i like it so i voted for the 800 :)
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I say buy used whenever possible. How else can you buy a bass that retails for $2000 for 800?

Again: To hell with new equipment! :)
  9. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Doesn't BassPlayer.com have a shoot out on the site that has a few of these basses in it?
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Or a $4000 bass for $1000;)

I also found two Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5's for $1050... total
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    where did you find those Jazz basses???? can I have one? hehe
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000

Always showin' me up, Brad. You're killin' me! :)

I need to move to MD or something.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

My answers:

1. I could tell you but...
    2. ummm...NO!!!

Paleale, when I get a Thompson for the price of a lower end Ibanez...then I'll gloat;). Like you said, go used:D
  14. two notes of basses not mentioned, first the MTD beast, i've played and and like it, good punch,(the grendel has active electronics which'd be nice though too i'm sure) and then G&L guitars. www.bassnw.com has some good specials on em last i checked.
  15. Perhaps a higher end Yamaha might be what you're looking for. They seem to be around that price range. Or at least they are in Canada. So I guess in Canada a $800 bass would cost you maybe twenty bucks with a little change. :)