1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a bass veritone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by price010, Jul 18, 2012.

1. hell no

16.2%
  2. not the best

20.3%
  3. good idea

56.8%
  4. a must have idea

9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. price010

price010

Jul 18, 2012
    Has has anyone ever tryed a veritone on a bass before I have seen then on some modded jazz basses before and on some guitars any info on them would be grate and your views

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I think they came standard on Gibson EB3s, so you should get some good responses from anyone who owns one

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    People call different things a Varitone. A real Varitone is a six position rotary switch with 5 different caps and an inductor (choke) coil to notch out the mids.

A popular version is a 4 position switch to give you either pickup, or both in series or parallel.

The EB-3 had a similar rotary pickup selector. But one of the selections had a choke and cap in the circuit. The Ripper had a rotary pickup selector, and a midrange pot that had a choke.

Another version is a "decade control" which is a series of caps and no inductor, like the ToneStyler. This was first used in the Gibson Les Paul recording guitar.

So, which one are your talking about?

4. price010

price010

Jul 18, 2012
    I have to honest I don't know much about Gibson basses. I have been thinking about putting into a bass a modding at the moment nothing special p pick up at neck and j at the bridge and am dooing it for a mate of mine he don't want active cuss he don't wana faff with batteries thought about the veritone but I don't know if it is worth it. He plays rock to funk reggae and jazz though it would be nice to slightly switch his tones

5. price010

price010

Jul 18, 2012
    The veritone am talking about is the 5 position rotary switch

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Although I love passive basses, I did not find the varitone control to be particularly useful.

Once you find the setting that sounds best, you will just leave it there and 10 years later you will wonder why you put that there and what it does. At which point you will try all the settings again and leave it on the one that sounds best to you for another decade.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Gee, I don't know about that. I suppose if you only use one sound for everything maybe, but I change my tone for every song, and sometimes during a song.

I'm always tweaking the bass and treble controls and pickup blend to get the sound for that particular piece of music. I used to do the same with Varitones.

8. price010

price010

Jul 18, 2012
    I am always tweaking my sound to the song to the bass and blending the pickups. the friend I am modding it for was something easy to use and something he can use for all the different styles of music he playes

9. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I installed a stellartone tonestyler notched style for a p-bass. I like it but only find 4 of the 12-16 notches to be useful. Very cool for passive filtering but I am much more accustomed to a typical tone knob.

10. price010

price010

Jul 18, 2012
    Well I was thinking of a 6 position rotary switch and experiment with it to fined something for each position so that each position has something you can actually use and not be let down by

11. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    It's not a terrible Idea, but I think if you want some serious options... go active. You can get guaranteed results if you use the right pickups & preamp.

As a low cost all-passive option I'd consider it. I find I can get enough variety with 2 pickups and a tone control... tone controls can do special things to tone, esp. when you very playing position and try muting. Oh muting! ;)

12. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use one on virtually every session I do! They can be pretty magic when you use them right. I'm not a fan of onboard, active eq (for a variety of reasons) - although I will very occasionally use an active bass under certain circumstances. Still, a selectable set of passive tone filters really is it's 'own thing' in terms of tone and response!

I put this box together, detailed below:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/custom-outboard-tone-control-717643/
    IMG_2400.

13. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
  14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
  15. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Cool!

I love this little box! Honestly, I don't use it live - but in the studio it has become an indispensable tool for getting that "just-right old-skool" tone from a variety of instruments!

16. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    A six position Varitone is the default tone shaper on Birdsong basses. Along with the blending of the neck and bridge pups it gives you a lot of different tones.

The first position is a pass thru (off) and from there each click cuts the highs and upper mids a little at a time.

17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I have a CertianBass Varitone in one of my basses. I tweak it all the time, I like it.

18. BassilPesto

BassilPesto Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I thought the poll was about these:

VaritoneAffiche.

19. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    I was wondering when some one was going to bring up David Certain's Varitone version.

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.