A bass with 5 pickups??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Nov 18, 2004.

1. So i was looking around the net, trying to avoid work, and I came across this at the DR strings site:

It looks like Bootsy's bass has 5 pickups. What's going on there? I have heard his stuff and he's not known for having an amazing tone, so I'm guessing the 3rd, 4th, and 5th pickups are really just for show? What kind of bass is that anyway?
  2. what the hell? that pic was about 1/8 that size when i viewed it on the page. How'd it get that big? oh well, hope you don't mind. Sorry 56k'ers!! :bag:
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I have to disagree, its just not a conventional tone and seems to be hard to record. Live, it'll give you the squirts. But, its probably a Washburn.
  4. The squirts hey? I don't like the sound of that...
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well, it is the Funk!:D
  6. I read an article or interview somewhere (bass player maybe) that said it had an output for each pickup, and he used 5 separate rigs that were set up to cope with different areas of the spectrum from the different pickups, and two or three of the middle ones went to effect rigs or something crazy like that. He's Bootsy, I guess he can do what he wants. :)

That bass was custom made, but I think washburn made a limited replica, but it may have only had 2 pickups.
  7. I can not imaging playing with 5 leads hanging out of my bass. I have a hard enough time ensuring that 1 lead doesn't get pulled out by me stepping on it.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The second I saw the thread title, "Bootsy Bass" came to mind.
  9. mdrdvp

Nov 8, 2004
    It's a custom made bass, the Washburn is just a signature copy of this bass. This bass has 4 outputs, one clean signal and the other three are running through different kind of effects like Mutrons, Whammy, Rat, Octave pedals, you name it. A couple of years ago he used three Alembic F-2B stereo pre-amps and a whole lot of other stuff in his rig(s). This bass is one of the two custom basses made for him by Guz zuppi music. Listen to some live Bootsy stuff and you know how it sounds.

10. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Ditto. I actually first thought of "The Space Bass." Truly unique.

Gotta love Bootsy. Seems like a pretty nice, decent guy.