1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a bass with a repaired

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kderick, May 29, 2004.

1. kderick

kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    i have a chance to buy a 1950 Kay S-9 for a guy I met online. This bass is not in mint condition. It has a replaced top (done in 1997), some of its original purfling has chipped away and there is a repaired crack in its shoulder. He claims that all of these problems are aesthetic and do not affect its sound, Though he lives in NJ and I am in FL. I won't be able to test it before I buy. Any thoughts from TB? :help: :help: :help:

2. Not a good idea to buy without testing it, unless you can get some sort of money-back guarantee, or trial-period before you pay the full amount. Do you know anyone in NJ who might check it out for you? - at least it might save you a wasted trip - even then, they might think it's really great, but you might hate it. Buying a double-bass is a very personal thing - if you have little or no experience, then get lots of advice - what does your teacher say? (you do have a teacher… …don't you?)

- Wil