Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a bass with a repaired

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kderick, May 29, 2004.

1. kderick

kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    i have a chance to buy a 1950 Kay S-9 for a guy I met online. This bass is not in mint condition. It has a replaced top (done in 1997), some of its original purfling has chipped away and there is a repaired crack in its shoulder. He claims that all of these problems are aesthetic and do not affect its sound, Though he lives in NJ and I am in FL. I won't be able to test it before I buy. Any thoughts from TB? :help: :help: :help:

2. Not a good idea to buy without testing it, unless you can get some sort of money-back guarantee, or trial-period before you pay the full amount. Do you know anyone in NJ who might check it out for you? - at least it might save you a wasted trip - even then, they might think it's really great, but you might hate it. Buying a double-bass is a very personal thing - if you have little or no experience, then get lots of advice - what does your teacher say? (you do have a teacher… …don't you?)

- Wil