a bassist place in school bands

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Feb 16, 2002.

1. with sight reading the hardest thing is timing, and playing with ensembles with different note values at you there quarter notes make the bassist want to go faster but we are post to keep the groove! do any of have advice for bassist who need to learn to keep time?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    First thing I'd recommend is learning to write so that one doesn't have to work hard to get an idea of what you're saying. Punctuation is nice, too.

Next, get a metronome and check out Ed Friedland's "Metronome as a Guru" in the Bass Player on line articles. If you're playing quarter note lines and you can hear the metronome, you're doing it wrong.
  3. Yea - that was one of the most mixed up, combobulated peices of quasi-english I've seen in a long time!

4. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    you really need to know how to count if you are playing in a school band or orchestra. it is a skill aquired over time, and you just need to keep practicing. i play upright and electric, and it is actually harder for me to keep a groove with a band because i play so much classical on my upright. they are two completely different things, and timing is the most important thing in an orchestra or band. just keep working on it man, you'll get it.