Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a bassist playing a guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fatrhino, Jul 15, 2000.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I was thinking about buying a cheap electric guitar just to fool around with and make writing songs easier. Does anyone feel that playing another instrument helps them become more creative on the bass? My guitarist also wants me to write more songs and I think it will be easier using guitar also. What would be a good cheap practice guitar under $300? the Danelectro's look cool.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    For your price range I think you should look at MIM Fender Strats or Teles. You may also want to check out the Yamaha Pacifica. I've heard that the Dans are not so good. Musicians Friend was also running some great deals on DeArmond. I play guitar as well as bass and its fun but I consider bass to be my main instrument. Go out and try some of those geetars and see what speaks to you.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I play several different instruments, but I mainly write tunes on guitar and piano. I don't consider myself as proficient on either of those instruments as I am on bass, but I have been called upon to fill in at gigs on both of them and haven't embarrassed myself. I have only written a few tunes on bass, but I can tell you that it does make a difference. The perspective you get from playing a different instrument from your favorite can be refreshing. The pet licks you've developed are harder to rely on and this can lead to exploring new musical territory. But always remember to include a cool bass line.

Chris A. [​IMG]

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I started on guitar and picked up the bass one year later. I still do most of my songwriting on guitar (on which I have become quite proficient). Writing songs on guitar is very convenient, especially since it makes it easier to communicate with other guitarists [​IMG]. I also play some piano although I need to work on my chops. So I suggest you learn to play the guitar. It'll broaden your perspective on bass playing and make you a more accomplished musician.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

5. sting had an interview in BP mag a while back, it was up on the internet site, so you could probly find it in the arcives. anyways, he said in there that he prefered to write his songs with a guitar, and then add the bass line. He said somthing about it being a lot easyer for him. i dont have the exact link, but here's the one for the mag. www.bassplayer.com

6. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Thanks everyone. I think I will be getting a guitar soon.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another under $300 you might consider is an Epiphone Les Paul.. They are the made in Korea version of the Gibson, and they are awesome feel and tone, lower action than MIM Fenders, although action probably doesn't matter that much to a bassist, seeing as our fingers are much stronger than guitarists, although the skinny strings WILL cut up your fingers at first, so lower action helps a little..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bearing in mind that you will have to buy the guitar that suits you and your bank manager, heres some food for thought.

Guitarists tens to go for Fender or Gibson so if you want to sell at a later date then thats your best choice. The Squires and Epi's are good for the money. I have a Mim Tex Mex Strat at the end of the run so it was cheaper. Fender also did the California and Corona series that were cheaper than the MIA stuff. If you can pick up a Gibson Les Paul Studio cheap SH they are good (I had one but I lost my heart to Fender) The main difference is the humbucker Gibsons sound better cranked pedal to the metal , Fenders sound better on the edge of breakup.

The other problem is amps. If you want to plink about fine but if you want to sound like your fave hero forget it if you have a solid state practice amp. If you go the Gibson route then try any Marshall with a valve in it. THe VS range sound ok but not as good as all valve. For Fender I am a Vox fan but try the cheaper Fenders like the blues or pro junior.

Thats answered your question and one you didn't ask. However consider an acoustic. You dont need an amp and its portable. You can leave it out and pick it up when you get the inspiration or whatever.

All the above works for me, try for yourself and happy hunting.

9. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    As far as amps go I will probably just play through my little Dean Markley practice bass amp. I don't really need to sound great as this is just to help my song writing. I love the acoustic guitar sound but I need and electric with distortion for my writing so would buying and electric, a distortion or overdrive pedal, and an acoustic simulator pedal be a good idea? Thanks for everyones imput [​IMG]

10. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I don't recommend Squires even to a beginner. Epiphone on the other hand has many good guitars. Yamaha Pacifica is an excellent guitar, but if I was buying now I'd opt for a Fender - there's just something sweet about their instruments. If you want distortion make sure you have at least one humbucker, so if you're getting a strat-type guitar consider a "fat strat" - with humbucker in bridge.

It's definitely desirable for a musician to play more than one instrument if time allows. And for songwriting it's really an advantage. I play (try to [​IMG] guitar, bass and drums. There really are many ideas on any one of those instruments that can be applied to the other instruments. Also this makes it easier to communicate with other band mates and it's easier to find gigs [​IMG]

11. mljohn

mljohn

Jul 16, 2000
    It always helps being a diversified musician. If you're not that serious about playing guitar and you want to go the el cheapo route, you can pick up a Korean made Kramer from MusicYo.com for as low as $69.(Quality?) However, if you think you will be at all serious(and since you plan on writing songs, I'm guessing you will be), I suggest saving up to buy a decent guitar. If it doesn't feel good to play it(like many el cheapos), it will become a chore. I've always considered myself a bass player but I've been playing guitar just as long. I started out playing an Applause strat-style I got used from a buddy. It was all right in the beginning, but when I got my Jackson with the works, my playing really took off. It was so much more pleasurable to play. It also really helped figuring out songs to play. I often learn the guitar parts first, especially where the bass is buried. It makes learning the bass part that much easier. As far as an amp, just about anything will suffice unless you need crunch distortion and sreaming harmonics. [​IMG] You can never go wrong by saving a little longer for quality gear. Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by mljohn (edited July 25, 2000).]

12. well hold it now... if you just want a guitar to mess about and write songs, pick up an acoustic. an electric means an amp, which of course means $$$. i play acoustic and electric guitar and enjoy it very much though, and if you're set on an electric at a cheap price, check out the ibanez GAX70... it's what i have, and it's a hell of a deal. nice looking, sounds good, great action, very quiet electronics. also, hamer's instruments are way better than you'd think considering the cost. oh, and i've never played one but see about a fernandes with the sustainer system... i heard they sound unreal.

------------------
    we hope you are ok.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Fender Standard Fat Strat $330 @ Musiciansfriend

Squire Standard Fat Strat $189 @ same place

Squire Stagemast HSH $270 @ same place

oh yeah I'm a bassist who also plays cello & messes around on cousins strat....some people said i actually sounded good doing some solos ala Santana Style.....buy what feels good...I tried a $550 Sadowsky 5string it felt terrible compared to a $510 Dean Edge Q5 moral of story buy what feels good.
    & have fun

14. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I bought an used Les Paul for a really ridiculous price. I only use it for slapping, since guitar players can't usually slap their instruments. Guitar slap with lots of wah sounds really funky. try it [​IMG]

15. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    I use my keyboard to create songs, but I have a guitar also. And it's a good idea to get a guitar if you want to write some songs. But if I were you I would get a cheap and used guitar.

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

16. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I like having a guitar around to play some blues now and then. I just purchased a BC Rich Warlock at Guitar Center for $139. It's a pretty good guitar for that price....IF you like those pointy guitars....:)

17. i yeah,just mindlessly repeating the chatter. playing several instruments does help. and a guitar will help you write. I have an acoustic that I use.

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm a true bass player but I play a couple of different instruments guitar, drums a little piano I believe it helps you understand the groove a little and I mostly write songs on a guitar some on bass. It helps to know a litte guitar for when you jam in a unknowing situation you can read the guitar player a little better and you look like a hero.
    I like to crank up my PV classic 20 and ring out a couple of Pete Townsend bar chords when nobody's around:oops:

19. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Any excuse for another axe. Sounds Ok to me.

I would (and may) pick the Fender Telecaster electracoustic. Sometimes musical ideas come when there is no amp avalible.

20. i recently bought an electric guitar too. i had this urge to expand my horizon. i couldn't get over the low end (bass), but i couldn't ignore the high end (guitar). i loved that boom of the bass, and the flying solo's like sweet child 'o' mine.
    but i was looking at guitars for $300 Australian, but i got one for $500 instead. A vester model guitar; humbucker pickup and two single core pickups. great finish too. sounds f**king awesome.
    so rock on!