1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A/B'ed a 'Ray and Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 17, 2006.

1. well i a/b'ed a ray and a sterling today, well i would of prefered to use the ampeg stack there but a mesa walkabout 12" was already plugged in, sacrifices ay :p , but well......ray, hands down, sound wise very very simular...but the ray just had the substance and the feel.....the sterling was good, but the ray was just more comfortable....

ray 9/10
    sterling 7.5/10

these were both maple fb, the sterling was ash, and im pretty sure the ray was too...the ray was the 2004/5 limited edition, the metallic red with black headstock and gold logo....so now its down to lightwave and a ray....hmmmmmm:meh:

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i personally came to the same conclusion recently. the sterling had considerably less bottom end than i expected, the ray blew it away in that regard. but the sterling has the coil switching switch, which gives it a little more versatility.

i'd go for the ray though, its just such a classic and met all of my expectations. only problem was that my bongo EXCEEDED my expectations.

it'll be interesting to see when the double pup EBMM's will be released here.

3. I'd have to agree with you. Did the same thing on Saturday through an Ampeg SVT3 Pro. I feel like the Sterling relies a lot more on it's electronics for the sound. It's very bright and maybe a touch artificial if your settings are wrong.

The Stingray feels like the wood is really resonating and you can feel the tone coming off the maple fretboard.

I also played a Warwick Corvette that was Ash/Maple and with 2 P pickups. Surprisingly, it was pretty similar to the Sterling.

I'd give the Sterling a 6/10 and the Stingray an 8/10 (It was a five string and the B sucked). Never played a Lightwave - they look like a completely different beast.

4. ive tried bongo's before..personally, they didnt do it for me, i didnt like the way they balanced when sitting down....personally, the two pickup rays seem like an inbred two headed tasmanian to me...classic ray all the way...

ive been talkin to chris willcox about getting a lightwave down here since there arent any dealers down here, so ill have a bit of a rarity if i get a lightwave, as well as my KSD:D

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    don't you also have a hotwire jazz? don't see them very often...

6. nah...thats not me.....ive only got the KSD, in about 2 months or so im gonna take the plunge on a new bass....and so far the ray and lightwave are on the top of my list

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    then who's the aussie with the hotwire? i'd love to try one of those things... i haven't found them anywhere here.

8. mark whats-his-name, from sydney....or he had one, cant remember

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i thought the solid color EB basses were all alder?

10. no, when getting a new EB you can order ash or alder specific...ive already looked into it....wood type isnt color specific

11. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Someone's giving you erroneous information. The latter is true, but the former - being able to specify what type of wood - is not.

12. well i was on the EBMM forums and some lady who was some EBMM employee when i asked about colors and woods she said that when i get a 'ray to let her know and she'd put it in as ash specific.....because i prefer ash to alder....when my nets working properly ill link to it

13. I A/B'd a Ray and Sterling and preferred the shape, feel, and tone of the Sterling... that was about 7 years ago. Never regretted it.

14. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Heath, you might be talking about a personal favor here, and not everyone is going to get that same choice.

15. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    He was playing off the shelf instruments, not a custom order.

16. i was playing off shelf instruments....but ill show you the thread

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11509

and if you have a look at the thread, theres a premium ash option too...cmon bovine, get with the times:D

17. 130964.
    thats the ray i played....but with a maple board....it was sooooooo hot

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Was the headstock black? If so it was probably the LTD radiance red?

19. yup...i said that, it was a 2004 or 2005 ltd edition

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with bovine, you CANT choose what wood you want. That being said, EBMM uses ash pretty much for every stingray/sterling nowadays, the days of poplar have pretty much passed. You can not say 'i want alder' or something like that. That is not an option. The premium upcharge is simply for ash with nicer grain.

EDIT: doh missed that in your first post. sneakysneaky ><