A begginers pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Dec 19, 2005.

1. well, I am just a begginer in the bass world but i am already looking for some pedals / multiple effects pedals. I am thinking about buying some pedals before i upgrade my amp. I am fine with my setup amp-wise now and want to explore into different sounds. I can spend 200-300 bucks easily but I could muster more if it would make a huge difference in the quality of the product. I was looking at maybe getting just one multi-effects unit like the line 6 pod... What would you recommend for a begginer?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How long have you been playing? IMO, pedals while you're still learning usually mask your playing faults. I wish I didn't start off with effects so early. I wish I learned to play bass first, then add to my tone pallette.

Your mileage may vary, but in this case, I still wholeheartedly recommend individual pedals over multi-FX units, especially due to the fact that you can change order and have much more real time control, not to mention they usually osund better. That's my opinion.
  3. Thats why i didn't really want to get the multiple effects... The quality isn't really that great (so i have heard) Well, now that i am probably going to get single effects, what are some of the best of each type (distortion, phaser, chorus etc.)
  4. is lessons a pedal? guess not... but it'll make you sound better :)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about instead of us listing what we feel is the best of everything, you tell us what you're looking to do with your tone. Tell us what gear you have and we'll try to help you out.
  6. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    The Boss TU-2 tuner pedal.

For someone starting out, that's the perfect first pedal. You can also power other pedals off of it- ideal for your future pedal purchases. Additionally, you'll be able to teach yourself how to properly intonate your instrument. The TU-2 is very accurate. We all use 'em- you should too!
  7. :bassist:
    A reverb pedal like the BOSS unit, 50-75 bucks on ebay, (used lightly) will give you some nice spacial dimension.......like you're in a big hall, not a basement/garage etc.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Haha, coming from a guy who has the EH logo face as his avatar, that's funny! Come on Tim, we know you can't possibly mean that!

While I agree with you that individual pedals do usually sound better, I've come to the conclusion that they're just too inconvenient to work with on a regular basis. Mind you, this is my personal opinion, and I know for some people that individual pedals are worth it. But nowadays, I just bring a Boss ME-33 and deal with the tradeoffs in sound. Then again, there's not many tradeoffs because I hardly ever use them on bass, and the ones I use for guitar sound great in the ME-33, the only exception being my Keeley-modded Rat II, which is by far the best distortion pedal ever made.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Believe it or not, that is exactly how I feel. Cool sounding effects really masked my technique slip ups. Can't hear fretbuzz under buzzsaw distortion, can ya? Flanger, on a fretless, there goes intonation. See what I mean?

Not to mention all the fun goodies I had sounded horrible in a band situation, not to mention I could barely play after two years twiddling with knobs. I went straight to the amp for a while, learned how to REALLY play, and the effects slowly made their way back in.
  10. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I feel somewhat qualified to respond here as I started playing electric bass in 1980 and have tons of effects.

My favorite effect is Fender Jazz > Ampeg SVT :)

Seriously, it really depends on what your objectives are.

My favorite effect is the compressor but that was the result of learning acoustic bass and plucking hard, a bad habit I took to electric so the compressor was great to correct by bad technique. As primarily a fingerstyle player and an occasional slap/popper, compression is still nice to even out my sound.

My second favorite is chorus. As a bass player in the 80s you'd hear a lot of this in the "me decade"

An equalizer is nice. My SVT has a built in graphic EQ so I got rid of my graphic EQ pedal. (I still use a NE-1 parametric pedal.)

That said, I use effects so sparingly so they don't overpower.

I usually ask myself "what would Geddy do?"

For a great example of a great effects on bass, listen to YYZ by Rush from "Moving Pictures". Geddy has applied chorus and distortion sparingly to create a killer bass sound.
  11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I'd get a good tuner and a EH Bassballs.
  12. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    That's exactly how I feel. I came this conclusion at a gig by tripping over the George L's cable going to the amp, it pulled one pedal off the velco and I couldn't figure out which one got f***ed up in time before the bass came. thus rendering my pedalboard useless...even my TU-2 :crying: .
    But it taught me a valuable lesson: My bass sounds really nice. You forget how nice your instrument sounds without going through all that other crap first. I wish I hadn't started buying pedals so soon as well, I used chorus to give me nice tone without having to focus on my fingers. Overdrive just killed me.

I just gave my pedal board to my little brother along with my wah because I've cut my pedal needs in half: My mxr m80 di, octave (some originals require it) and my tuner.

On the other hand, pedals are fun; they make life interesting because it's a fun diversion during practice. To this end, I feel like a crappy multi would do u well--even though i'm of the single pedal school--this way you won't play out with it because stuff like the zoom are just a pain in the ass but fun to play with.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Heh, you just described an experience I had to a T! When my pedals crapped out, I plugged straight into the amp, and I said, "Wow, THAT'S where my tone went!" Since then, I hardly ever use effects. I use a compressor and once in a while a Rat pedal. But the Rat is true bypass and the compressor is a dbx 266x so neither of them are tone suckers. And if I need more than that, I use a Boss ME-33, which is also true bypass. Pedals are great but not if they kill your natural tone.
  14. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    i would say get a boss tuner cause those things are nice and i would say just find an inexpensive multifx unit....why you ask. because then you can find which you like instead of being like me and buying a boss bass overdrive and never using the thing(i wish i would have got the boss tuner instead)
  15. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    ahhh, or a nice compressor!
  16. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I would completely add a compressor, but what does it DO?
  17. Just like the others on here, who took the words right out of my mouth, I'd get a Boss TU-2 Tuner...

And fenderx.... I totally had the same experience as you... one day , in total frustration of not finding my sound with my SABDDI, I turned it off, and realized how mucked up I had made my sound.

Now I can come back to the same pedals, and use them in a more useful way, instead of ruining my tone with them....Less effect wetness, and more MIDS.. :eyebrow:
  18. :bassist:
    Heres the link to a recent thread about compressors.....very informative. Some love them, some hate them.......myself I like the sound of a good quality compressor. Get one with a full set of front end controls.....very veratile

Cheers!!! :D
  19. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  20. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I think that four effects will let you cover the spectrum pretty well: a chorus or flanger wil add spatial depth, an octave divider will fatten things up, an envelope filter will make things funky and a fuzz pedal will add a nasty edge. Brands? Given your price range, I'd recommend a Boss chorus (CEB-3 is their model number, I'm pretty sure), Boss octave (OC-3?) and an Electro-Harmonix BassBalls for the envelope filter effect. Not sure which value-priced fuzz to recommend. While Zvex and EBS are exceptional, pro quality pedals, paying that much might be hard to justify as a beginner. But you don't have to spend an arm and a leg or compromise to get very good pedals. Boss makes stomp boxes that are affordable and will last forever. You won't outgrow them, yet you won't spend a fortune on them, either. Just remember that effects are like spices. Too much and they can ruin the recipe, but when used sparingly, they can bring out some very cool flavors. Good luck.