1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A beginners guide to choosing a web host?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Oct 31, 2010.

1. My band wants to have our own website, nothing extravagant or anything, just having links to our interpunk account, album info, some videos and audio available. We have someone lined up to build the site but none of us really know much about choosing a web host.

I assume there's a few of you on here with extensive knowledge of what would suit our needs. Can you give me some pointers and lead me in the right direction?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    If your site's maker can't recommend (or name) major hosting services I'd hold up a bit on that too.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your web designer should be able to recommend a good host. With the kind of traffic you'd probably be getting, just about any "economy" package should be more than adequate.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, Godaddy.com is perfectly reasonable, even though their boss man can be obnoxious. My personal choice is Dreamhost.com, they are great to work with, affordable, and useful services are included.

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    GoDaddy gets the most harsh and numerous critiques about their hosting. Domain registration is just fine but I wouldn't recommend it for hosting.

Try:

iweb.com - For super-high quality hosting. About 9 bucks a month if you don't buy it for more than two or three years, otherwise it gets cheaper.

limedomains.com - You can have a basic hosting plan free with your domain purchase. I've had excellent experiences with these guys on small-scale sites.

6. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    dreamhost is great

I use bluehost.com

Top notch customer service too

$6.95 a month

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been using ezwebhosting.com for years, no issues.

Check them out, and if you decide to go that way let me know.

8. I use TotalChoiceHosting:
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/

I have used other web hosting services but found that their download
    speeds stink. One day, I downloaded a big video from some other
    person's site and the download speed was wicked fast. I decided that
    was the host for me and found out who they were. It was TotalChoiceHosting.

I maintain multiple websites with this service (band, local soccer club, personal).
    I've been using it for years now and have no complaints.

9. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    www.weebly.com

It's free (unless you upgrade to a premium package) and you can build the site yourself with no web knowledge. If you go with the free site you just get a tiny "get a free site with weebly" at the bottom.

I'm telling you, it's simple drag and drop! Plus tons of features including sound clips, downloadable files, pics, youtube videos, you name it!

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've been using Hostica.com for several years. The price keeps going down, and the bandwidth up. A dollar a month works for me. ;)

11. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I think it comes down to what your coder is going to be writing in, if its just php, just find the cheapest available. But if its .Net I rec Arvixe, they've served me well so far, and really inexpensive. If its Java, choose another language :p

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Stay away from Mochahost, whatever you do.