Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Beginner's Snare Drum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pajama_Bottoms, Aug 21, 2004.

1. My younger brother is starting middle school concert band, and he's going to play drums. :cool: Can anybody recommend a good snare for him to start on? If he sticks with it the snare will probably be incorporated into a set in a few years. Range is around $150 US, no higher than $200. No used stuff, my mom will never go for starting one of her children on a used instrument.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Go try some. Make sure it sounds snappy, none of that "doy" kind of sound you get from flicking your cheek with an open mouth or anything.

3. Yeah, that's what I was thinking I'd hear. Just wanted to check to see if there were any "steals" out there. Thanks guys!

4. Ludwig snares sound very good for that school band stuff. And pretty affordable too.

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You could get a nice custom one of these (customized to the depth needed):
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/447294/

Prolly only cost you $3000.

I personally say go with Pearl...they have the greatest customer service I've ever seen. Nice guys and lots of help...but if you order from them, do it soon, they will be raising their prices 6-9% starting soon.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Get him a practice pad.

They should have a snare at school he can use there, and a then he has a pad for at home....

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

over to misc

8. Mike Money hit it on the nose, a practice pad is like 30 bucks

9. Pearl Chad Smith signature snare.

Great drum.