1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"A Behringer BXL1800A is enough"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Well, I'm about to get a combo amp for Christmas (hartke vx3500) and my mom, as she said, called the local guitar center, and she said that the people at guitar center said "a behringer bxl1800A (the one I currently use as practice amp) is good enough." I'm not even gonna say anything to that.
    What do you guys think, is a behringer 10 pound amp enough for gigs? I can't even turn the volume half way up without distorting the sound.

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    It depends on how loudly your band plays.

The BXL1800A is about 90 watts RMS (180 Behringer watts) and has a 12 inch speaker. Some bass players use amps smaller than this.

3. If you are using a PA system then this is probably enough, as you can either mic it, or DI into the PA. I reckon bass sounds better going through the PA anyway.

If you are playing gigs with no PA system then you probabaly want something a little bigger, but I have played some smaller gigs with a Behringer BX1200.

4. I would keep on your mother for the Hartke, if not only for the reputation and reliability.

Plus, the 4x10 configuration will have you pushing enough air for a long time. It depends on your situation, though. If you're planning on playing rock gigs, that Behringer certainly won't do for very long.

besides, that behringer is UUUUUUGLy! (with a capital "F"!) (edit:imho)

5. if she doesnt get u the Hartke(at the very least)..smack her & tell 'er---ladyi aint want dat piece of crap"

6. Here we go again...

Guys, can we stay on track here? The question is whether the OP's current amp is adequate for his immediate needs, regardless of make, model or tone. It's not a debate about brand - it's about power/volume.

Come on! Add some value to the discussion!

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

:ninja:

8. I guess I didn't read the original post close enough, but I would still recommend the Hartke.

I'm surprised the GC people didn't say something like "Oh, he needs an Ampeg SVT 5PRO with matching 8x10" cabinet"

:p

9. Well, I'm in a rock/funk band, named after me - Lieutenant Huntergatherous and his Quartet of Power (my name's Hunter, and my band only has 3 people, and we will NEVER have 4 people, maybe 5, maybe 6, just NOT 4) Anyway, I don't have a PA system either... I think a good PA would cost way more than the Hartke I want...
    And to that guy that told me to smack my mom, haha that was funny...

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Warning: Those of us with kids of our own are genetically programmed to be paternalistic. I am going to ask your mom where she got the story that 90 W is enough, so I can use it on my kids. ;)

It is arguable that 90 W into a 12" is not enough for the "standard benchmark" rock band club gig. But there are some complicating circumstances here:

1. You are not old enough to play a rock band club gig.

2. When you get old enough, you will also be ready for the Great College Downsize, and a 100-pound combo is really an albatross.

3. Declaring 90 W to be enough serves a number of personal and community interests other than your own.

How much power you need depends on how loud you want your band to be. Life is full of compromises. 90 W into a 12" is enough if everybody in the band agrees to play at moderate volume levels. At the same time, playing at a level where you are using the full 350 W into an 8x10, will certainly damage your hearing. You are at a disadvantage that Santa has brought amps to your guitarist friends, capable of obliterating the Behringer, but it's their problem and not yours that they now need to learn how to sound good at moderate volume levels. "Life has given you a tool that you must restrain yourself from using" is a lesson that will take them far.

However... when I say 90 W into a 12" is enough, it is with the proviso that it is 90 W from a high quality amp, EQ'ed to gently favor the mids (or at least, not to favor the lows), and fed into a speaker than can handle the full power without distorting. The Behringer amp is probably OK, but the speaker is an unknonwn.

Perhaps a compromise is to anticipate the Downsize, and equip yourself with a somewhat higher quality 12" combo that will sound louder because it sounds better. You can always bring out both amps for gigs.

11. personally i like my behringer (BX4410A), i aint got the cash for the more expensive amps esp at UK prices (ok ashdown are reasonable but the behringer was cheaper and will handle just as well).

the thing is power means nothing without capable speakers, chances are that its the speaker in the amp rather than the amp itself so maybe a small cab as an extension would do (look @ the who, queen and quo townshend uses fender tweed twins with 1 cab, brian may has a vox ac30 mic'ed as do qou, those stacks are blank empty cabs) so maybe another speaker will do the job.

i used a trace elliot commando 100 for a few years DI'ed into the desk it was fine but cranked up the 15" speaker couldnt handle the 100 watts that was coming through, now if it had an extension socket i could have linked another cab and cut the distortion off. so far i havent had this problem with my behringer and all seems well and my pocket is a lot heavier thanks to the price tag (well its not as i bought a 300Watt PA at the same time too with the money i saved on the amp hehe)

12. Sorry I may not have made myself clear in my earlier post...

If you play in public you will probably want to get a PA from somewhere. This may be hired by you or by the event organiser, or may be a part of the venue you play. Buying one yourself was not what I intended for you to do!

If you use a PA in a gig then this will be the limiting factor volume wise - if it's louder than your guitar mates then you will blow them out of the water :). If it is softer than them, then they will have to turn down to get the mix right. Either way, you will have plenty of juice for your bass.

If you don't have or hire a PA, then you can always hire a bass amp just for the gig if yours isn't loud enough.

For rehearsals you should turn down! This is not just a public service announcement! Playing lower in volume means:
    - you can actually focus on your sound and listen to it
    - you won't annoy the neighbors
    - you won't annoy your folks
    - you won't have a permanent high pitched squeal in your head every moment of every day because you have buggered your ears forever. Trust me on this one - I bitterly regret my loud rehearsals now that I want my ears to work.

I also have to agree with the previous poster on the topic that smaller amps are easier to carry round, fit in dorm rooms, and just generally deal with. At your age you can save money to get a better unit later, and do some body building for when you need to lug the 410 cab round the place - they weigh a ton!

And yes, like the other guy, I'm a Dad too, so fel free to ignore me as well :D

13. 1. I am old enough to play in a rock/funk band :hyper:

2. That I can understand... but the Hartke is only 80 lbs! Haha

3. My neighbors are no where to be seen within 500 yards of my room. :p

14. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I think fdeck hit some good points I agree with. Also, it's important to keep in mind that this isn't a "which amp should I get" or "my behringer broke, argh" thread. He's got a behringer that works fine and wants to replace it with another amp. Which is, of course, cool, and we all do it, but saying the hartke is a better choice neglects the fact that the choice has already been made.

There's another completely seperate issue, though. What's with the guitar center salesman telling a customer over the phone that they don't need something? I don't get it. Was this guy just such a straight shooter he didn't want to make an unnecessary sale?

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    htotheh,

fdeck had some good advice.

At 16, are you actually getting gigs? If so, good for you. I played rock gigs for a number of years with a combo amp similar to the Behringer and while it wasn't the same as using a big rig it worked and I made enough money to afford a bigger/better amp after a while.

This in fact was good lesson for me...when you have to pay for it yourself you get very particular about buying gear. I see you already own three basses, you could of course sell one to buy a bigger amp :bag:

When I went off to college I had to leave my bass stack at home, there was no place to put it and I had no car to transport it (plus the cabinet was too big to fit into a sedan). Not to mention I had to worry about security a lot more in a dorm than in my family's house.

Good luck, stay low.

16. I dont know if its been said yet, but GC said to stick with the Behringer for this reason, possibly among others...GC does not carry Hartke and they do cary Behrigner...

its sad to say that, but its true. they heard hartke and translated that into budget gear, and recomended a cab they had in stock, in attempts to make a sale.

if your mom is against buying you the cab, the see if you can work a deal where she'll throw you a little money for christmas and you pick up the rest, or something like that.

a single 12" combo amp in my experiance is not enough for a live gig, regardless of PA support. that may just be me as i do like a lot of stage volume. but thats my opinion, for waht its worth

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Im 17 and gigging for 2 years now.

People here use small behringer and Hartke Kickbacks and I can say NO they are not loud enough. Of course your situation might be different. If youll always have a PA to play through you dont even need an amp. I love the gigs when I can take a bass and preamp and thats it.

My rock band? Ill take a huge amp thanks as I never get PA support.

Whats your situation? Do the clubs in your area have satisfactory PA systems?

18. Yeah I guess my mom and I have to work something out... Should I get a Hartke VX3500 (770) or a Nemesis combo for around 750?

19. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    both the hartke and the nemesis are rather expensive units. and bulky as hell.

why don't you try to get some used gear? a good ol' peavey head for like 150-200, and a nice 1x15, 4x10 or so.

btw. can you use the behringer combo as an amp? (speaker output) then getting a good cab could be a good option, until getting a real good head can be justified.

other options: a used SWR WM 15 combo. should sell around 300. loud, good bass response and easy to haul around. and will even provide a slap sound that you can live with. i really liked my WM15.