1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A better bass/guitar notes chart?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darkstorm, Aug 24, 2012.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Why is it every notes on fretboard chart is upside down with low E string on the bottom? Whenever I look at my bass or guitar the low E string is on top. Same when I look at another persons fretbaord as they play. I think it would make more sense for the charts to be made correctly with strings where they belong. Low E on top like it is in real world of playing. It cetainly made for less confusion in my learning. Attached pic is example of what I mean.

Does anyone have a professional looking (better looking) chart set up this way thats suitable for wallpaper? Ty

Yes I super streched it so you get nice wide image instead of most of the pic being blank with narrow band across middle lfor strings area, like most are. If you have a chart like I'm looking for I could of course just hop it over to paint to make wider for fretbaord area.

Crude but ok job for fret markers. Not enough choices for marker colors. Lol. Would like something better looking but still with freetboard dot or block fretboard markers of some kind.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You have a see-through neck?

But seriously, if you wanted a "real world" representation as if you were looking at someone elses fretboard, wouldn't the 1st fret be on the right side?

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    elgecko.. Yes it would be nice to have second version with nut on right side to. For that reason. I'm hoping someone knows of nice made note chart made this was that has two versions actually. The nut to left (like other charts) and nut to right versions. For basic one I made I just followed std nut at left side. Since that more mimics players view.

The opposite (right side nut) being 2nd as visual aid for learning to see notes on fretboard as another plays. Of course the nut at right side coiuld be useful for lefties as they play and look at chart. And I geauss then nut at left for watching lefty play huh? Lol.

But for basic one I figure nut at left side like other charts but with strings reversed so low E or Low B is on top instead of bottom.

4. One of my students asked this once.

1) Hold a paper with a bass/guitar chart flat so that you're staring at the edges (in other words, you can't see the writing on the paper, juts the edge)
    2) Slowly rotate the paper so that you start to see the chart (make sure it's right side up)
    3) look at where the strings are
    4) grab your bass and look at it from the edge only (in other words, all you see is the side dot markers and the E string
    5) Slowly rotate the bass so that you see the other strings. Note where the E string is in the general scheme of things...isn't it in a lower position compared to the G string? If you were to take a picture of the bass from this angle, wouldn't your E string be closer to the bottom of the paper than the top?

5. To add to that, the only way your chart would make sense in a real world setting as you put it, would be if you're right handed and you're playing a lefty bass flipped over.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009

Humm. I understand what your saying in both responces. But since one doesnt play the thing in that fretboard tilted over toward you way......

Yeah in a way the chart as I made it is kinda like your looking thru a clear neck like elgecko commented. Maybe thats part of why its worked better for me and some others.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Just practice until it doesn't matter how the chart is written, you hopefully won't need it forever.

That said, they put the low string on the bottom. Makes sense, or am I crazy?

8. MusicMotivated

MusicMotivated

Mar 20, 2014
    you can find those charts that youre looking for on my site. the charts are a mirror image of your guitar/bass musicmotivated . com