A Bible Verse.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 15, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    "Those who love the darkness hate the light" I know there's a quote pretty much identical to this one and others that are similar to it in the Holy Bible.

I'm using this verse to reiterate some religious symbolisim and to properly cite the reference for a paper I'm writing on Nathaniel Hawthorne's, Young Goodman Brown.

I'm not looking for an interpritation of the verse, I'm not looking for a debate on this topic. All I want is the book and verse that this quote and/or others similar to it are in the bible.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    John 3:19
    And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Is this it??
  3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's another candidate:

John 3:20
    For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
  4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

1 John 2:9
    He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehe, those are the 2 I sent him in PM, John 3-19 and 3-20
  6. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Possibly John 3:19-20?

Well, I see it's been covered well. :D

7. The closest one I could find that related to what you provided was:

1 John 2:9
    Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.
  8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's a good reference website:

Allows you to search by passage, key word or topic in many different versions.
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Try the Bible Gateway site - plenty of tools to search across numerous translations.

10. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I know exactly how you feel. I worked through the night yesterday to finish a paper that was due today. I had to rewrite the whole thing 2 days ago... finally got to sleep at 0600h, woke up at 0900h just in time to print it out and hand it in.

My only consolation is that it's the last one before the exams start...
  11. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.

The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

JOHN 1:4-5
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The scripture that Mark Beem quoted is as close as you are going to get.

13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The one you sent me did help. I appriciate it. I'm going to use that one and break the story down to a few other quotes that I found to aid in my discussion of sybolism in the story.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    All cleaned up!

Did you get your answer yet Mama Cass, or still hunting?
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I got my answer JB. Feel free to close this thread if you want. I'd delete it, but I find myself comming back to it to get some of the other verses that were shown to me. Once I'm done incorporating all the verses that are applicable to my paper, I'll delete the entire thread.