1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A big difference between Epiphones and Squiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    My thoughts are not limited strictly to basses. I'm speaking about these brands in general.

As the little sister brands to Gibson and Fender respectively, Epiphone and Squier seem to draw all sorts of comparisons.

To me the most telling difference between the two little sister brands is that Epiphone has a distinguished history of its instruments having been played by some giants in the music business. I cannot find any musician of prominence that is known for playing a Squier.

The list of Epi players includes:

Paul McCartney
    George Harrison
    John Lennon
    Les Paul (even after Gibson started his signature line)
    Pete Doherty
    Edge
    Ace Frahley
    Noel Gallagher
    John Lee Hooker
    Brian Jones
    Alex Lifeson
    Keith Richards
    Dwight Yoakam

I know, I know. Those guys are primarily guitar players. I'm not sure if there are any notable Epi bass players out there.

Squier has, as far as I can find, one (1) well known "musician" associated with it, that little emo dork, Pete Wentz. There might be more out there, but I didn't see any.

Because of that I think I will always be more drawn to Epi when looking for instruments in the bargain price range.

2. Not really valid since the Epiphones played by the greats (with a couple of exceptions) were older ones made in the US Gibson factory before manufacturing moved overseas or, in the case of even older original Epi's, in the Epiphone factory prior to it's takeover by Gibson.

Modern Epiphones are just a badge stuck on instruments made by Samick, Cort, or any other one of a bunch of far-east instrument manufacturers. This puts them on the same level as Squier, as far as manufacturing origin.

This isn't meant as a put-down of either Epiphone or Squier as they both have some decent instruments (and some junk) but any rich tradition and heritage mentioned in the same breath as current Epiphones is just snake oil.

3. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    That's valid. I've played some Squiers and Epis in the last few months. I bought an Epi Accu-Bass and I like it a bit better than the Squier P bass I played that was in the same price range. My Accu has good sustain and nice action. I like the Epi Viola bass but hate the EB-O.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Not really valid since you're comparing apples to oranges. Two different companies. Each has it's good and bad points. Plus, judging a company by the musicins known to play the brand is not valid either. That doesn't necessarily speak to the validity of the instrument. Paul McCartney played Hofner basses when he started out. Not because they were the best out there, but because they were cheap and he could afford them.

What's the point of all of this?

5. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I made the point above.

6. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well, as was said above, many of the famous folks who played epi were back in the day. (I am sure there are exceptions)

But another thing to consider is this.

Your making big shows, still in debt up to your eyes getting there and Gibson says, "Endorse this T-bird and we will give you a $2000 for free." What would you do? Haha I love my Epi, but if someone offered to give me a Gib T-bird to play at shows, I would.

Also of notice, the basses used in recording are not always the basses used at shows.

And p.s: How come people on TB try to shut down topics they don't find interesting? If it bores you, don't read it. Let the ppl who want to talk about it...talk about it.

7. You are comparing entirely different sets of instruments.

I pick my instruments based on feautures/tone/playability, not the brand that makes them, or who is endorsing what.

Personally, i have absolutely no interest in Epiphone or Gibson basses. (Nothing against the people that play them, their just not my thing) Given the choice between the $2000 high end Gibson and the $200 pawn shop Squier, i would pick the Squier everytime, because it would have the tone and features i want.

I really don't care who endorses what. What matters to me is that I like the bass, not that someone else is using it.