1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Big Move

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Sep 18, 2008.

1. My brother works in the same industry I do in another state and occasionally will give me a "heads up" on a possible job opportunity that I might be qualified for. He called today and handed the phone to a guy that informed me that people with my particular skill set and tenure are being paid double in their location. Furthermore he could put me in contact with 4-5 firms looking for people like me. In another 2-5 years, my salary would double again.

The down side(s)? My brother's location is, uh, not as good as New Orleans. It's a smaller town with no big metropolis anywhere close. Some might call it uninspiring or even boring.

Other issues:

my house is not market-ready. I've taken on a about 6 home-improvment projects too many. I've seen enough home shows and shopped enough to know that I'd need to take out a loan to get mine ready in any timely fashion.

My daughters will really miss being close to their grand parents. They just switched schools and are young, so not many friends to REALLY miss, but grandma and grandpa are the **** to them.

My industry has been stable lately, but it has been known to fall down occasionally. I'd be moving based on that current trend of stability. On the other hand, if it collapses, will it really matter where I'm at?

Anyway, I know the basic feel of the responses will surround that "money isn't everything".....but financial stability is a hell of a thing. I could look at adding a lot more to my small nest egg in a short amount of time. My wife could quit work and spend as much time with the kids as our parents did. I could be out of debt....etc, etc, etc.

Besides, I already beat down the City of Slidell, what's left to do? Anyone here been in a similar situation?

Mike

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not as much as you Mike, but I did move across the country. I did it for school and to pursue my dream as a musician. Its common knowledge that NYC has a much more happening music scene than San Francisco.

But it was an opportunity to make more money and have more work. I took it. I theoretically could be happier, but as it is, I'm fine where I'm at.

I say do it and best of luck!

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Shell out (get a loan?) the cash for professional home improvement, sell it once it's brand-new-and-better, get the new job, move there (pay the loan back?).

That's my opinion, presented with all those things I don't know about your life. But if I could do it this way, I'd go for it.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    imo you're putting the cart before the horse.

let me ask you this - would it break you (with 2x your salary) to make a temporary move to the new location whilst still keeping your present home? nothing wrong with a test-drive approach to this kind of personal upheaval, imo.

i would take one of the new jobs, temporarily (on a 3/6 month basis) move to a 1-room cheapie apartment and scope out the new location. see what is available as far as homes/schools/neighborhoods, and see if you like the new job/environment. meanwhile, save up as much dough as you can - the possible outcome of this is that the new location doesn't fly and you need to find a new job (presuming your present employer doesn't want you back). if you can stick it out with this place for 6 months, you're talking about another 6 months worth of your present salary, minus whatever living expenses you incur at the new place. should be able to scrounge up a few months worth of downtime pay if necessary in that time, if you're frugal.

i'd go for it. dude, where work is concerned, money -is- everything, imo. don't let the hippies fool you.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    That's a quandry, for sure. I don't really have much advice other than to spend some time talking this through with your family and friends, and make the decision that's right for your family - which ever way that might be. Good luck, Mike.

6. My wife and I discussed this very possibility, albeit for less than 6 months. I'd likely be welcomed back at my present job, but I'd take a hit in the pool of heirs apparent to the throne.

Just not sure. Leaving the wife's family is going to be the biggest hurdle, I think, followed by our affinity for this area. and boiled crawfish, but at the new salary I could have them flown in.

Mike

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm thinking that as a toilet paper dispenser, you should probably find work where you can. You never know when the a new fangled TP dispenser will be invented that would make you obsolete.

You can use your new found riches to fund another campaign to be moderator. Once you win the election, you will then inherit JT's salary to replenish your war chest.

8. "Virtually Smart", means just that, my man. I'm in the process of developing a motion sensor that flushes the toilet for you when you get up. It's going to revolutionize the industry and make me millions when it comes to market. I haven't heard back from the patent office yet, but I'm sure I'm the first on this one. They're probably just having trouble reading the text on the toilet paper.

Mike

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how far are you going to be? 2 hours by car? 5 by plane?

when i was in 9th grade my parents moved from approx 45 min away from my grandparents and mother's very large family (who i was -very very close- to - as an only child, quite a few of my 18 cousins were as close to me as any brothers or sisters would be, and often closer since a few of them were nearly exactly my age) to 800 miles away.

really sucked, but we got in the habbit of driving back up to visit every 6 months or so. sorta painful, but not really -that- bad, and we adjusted.

i guess what i'm saying is that adjustments can be made, and it doesn't have to be permanent. think like stalin - 5 year plan. milk it like a double-uddered cash cow.

10. 13 hours by car. Obviously shorter by plane, but I'm sure there's a plane switch somewhere in there. They just don't let crop dusters land at Armstrong International in New Orleans.

Right now, the one set of grandparents are about 45 minutes away. The other will be further, but we'd likely see them more than we do now because my brother is there, too and they like him more.

Mike

11. Slapp Addict

Slapp Addict

May 5, 2008
    Michigan
    May I ask what you do for a living?

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    13 hours by car - i can definitely identify with that, that was the old drive from atlanta to hazleton pa (shout out).

as much as i hated moving away from my family, it sorta did me good too - got a really different perspective on things, and made a bunch of new friends. for whatever that's worth - don't know how old your kids are, but i was 13 at the time.

i could have moved back when i got out of high school, but i wanted to go to ga tech, so i didn't.

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This means you went to school next to my favorite hot dog joint in the world - "whadda ya have, whadda you have !!"

Sorry for the derailment - I'm passionate about The Varsity;)

14. Depends on who you ask, but "field landman" fits most situations pretty well.

Mike

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh man. my freshman year i rented food from the varsity at least twice a week. lol.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I live 24 hours by plane from my closest family. Its not convenient, but you can make it work if you want to. Family is only a skype video call and a plane ticket away. :)

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I like Turner's idea of keeping your house and doing a soft move. If you can pull it financially, this is the best advice.

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Big +1 to this.

19. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I don't have any advice, but good luck.

20. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Hi Mike,

My situation is a little different than yours in that I don't own a house and I'm single, but I'm moving across half an ocean and a continent to find better job opportunities than exist in Hawaii.

Before moving to Hawaii, I spent 18 months renovating my parentsÂ’ house so they could sell it. It was a lot of work (I did most of it myself) and we made a decent profit, but the housing market is not a good one for sellers right now. You might have trouble recouping the cost of any recent renovation work. You might consider leasing your current property without putting too much money into it until things are better in the housing and banking industry. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever decision you make! ;)

Mike