Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a big ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 28, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    its more like 3 or 4 ?.frist i made my washbrun fretless it sounds great .i have fender tape wound or some thing like that there black on the bass.i used to use flat wounds on the bass before the frets were off.i love the tone . here my ? i dont want roundwound strings. i play a lot of primus i know how he strings his basses and all that there a part in tommy the cat when he slaps all the strings and slides up i tried it with the tape wound doesnt sound good doese he use flats or round wound on his rainbow bass. here my 2 ? i just tung oiled the neck i think its rose wood not to sure it a washbrun xb100 will play slap with flat wounds do any thing to the board.i slap on the board. and thats all

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

benjamin, Les uses roundwounds.

Tung oil alone will not protect your fingerboard(more than likely rosewood) from damage from slapped roundwound strings.

I don't believe that slapped flatwounds will do much damage to the fingerboard, but I also don't believe that you will get that Less Claypool sound with flats either.

3. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    thank you what can i use to finsh the board