1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Bigger Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Mar 10, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I am getting ready to start playing some decent sized club gigs and I need to upgrade my rig. I currently have a weak 60 watt Hartke combo. I thought I knew what I wanted, but the more I read, the more confused I get on what to do. I was planning on getting a 300 or so watt head with a 410 cab. I want a deep fat natural sound. The heads I have been considering are the Ashdown Mag300 (still haven't heard it because I can't find it), used Ampeg SVT 200t or 350. I think that the best way to get as full of a sound as I want is with a 2 X 12 cabinet and a horn. I recently stumbled upon some Yorkville XS400H head that has a tube in the pre-amp that promises fat sound. I was wondering if anybody could make some recommendations for me. I think 300 watts should be sufficient (unless you can tell me otherwise) and I think I want a 2x12 to give me the low end and growl. I want to know if anybody has a suggestion for an amp with tons of warm tone. I like Ampeg, but I am on a budget. I want to spend a max of about 400 on an amp (used is fine). Some people suggest using a pre-amp poweramp setup, but I just have no idea where to begin with this. I want some advice for what amps to look at. Are Ashdowns as good as they seem? Is the Ampeg worth the money? Is the Yrokville worth anything? Is a pre-amp poweramp setup more versatile? Is a 2x12 a good setup for a fat warm sound? Please help. I should add I play with my fingers in an aggressive (somewhere between punk and emo, but with talkent) rock band. I also play some ska riffs and anything fast.

2. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    Well I'm going through a dilema that sometimes I'm underpowering my Avatar 212 cab. I'm running an Edent WT-800 head, that's 800 watts into my 212 cab, and sometimes I start to clip the power amp. I think the important thing to do is get as much power as your pocketbook will allow you. Maybe a used power amp in the 1000 watt range and a decent preamp, BBE makes a great inexpensive preamp, starting at about $200. The Avatar 212 sells for about $350.00 or so. Bass Northwest has a used Stewart 2.1 power amp for $599.00, they usually sell for about $900 new.