A/B'ing the Ashdown EVO 300 & 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Nov 1, 2003.

1. I've spoken with some very experienced players and dealers lately who claim that when A/B'ing the 300 and 500 ABM EVO Ashdown heads, that they notice no difference whatsoever volume-wise between the heads when powering the same cabinets, and furthermore, a couple mention that they even prefer the 'pushed' tone of the 300 over that of the 500.

Certainly I am paraphrasing here, however I've tried to capture what they said as accurately as I can.

I'd be very interested to hear from those of you who have experience playing through both of these heads - what are your thoughts/reactions?

Thanks in advance! :bassist:
  2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    The difference in percieved volume between 300 and 500 watts in not that much at all. It seems like 500 is a lot more than 300 so it should be a lot louder but thats not how it works. You need 10x the wattage to get double the volume. 2x the wattage will give you an increase of 3db which is barely noticeable.
  3. STOKE and basss, thanks for your replies.

So what do you think the developers at Ashdown were thinking when developing these two amps and putting them on the market? Why not make a distinctively larger power difference between the two? As it stands now, STOKE it seems your assertion concerning the power disparity running an 8ohm cab solo is the only distinguishing difference between the two to justify spending more $$$ on the 500 ... ?