Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bit disappointed in Weather Report

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I recently purchased Heavy Weather. Everbody is always telling how great that album is etc etc, strange thing is, best Weather Report album, well, I don't like it that much. Ofcourse, there is Teen Town (which I'm nailing down currently ;) ), but the rest of the record is too "mellow" for me, you know what I'm saying? I miss some funk, which I really expected to be on this album. I like Mysterious Traveller much more then Heavy Weather.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Didn't like Birdland, huh?

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Go back and listen to HAVONA, that may be some of Jaco's best stuff, and I wouldn't call it Mellow. But I love the Ballads on that Album.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The juggler is my favorite track on that album.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I didn't really care for Heavy Weather when I first got it either. But it grew on me like a fungus.

6. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree with those sentiments. When I first got it almost a year ago I was underwhelmed. Now I listen to two or three songs off it every 3 days or so (which ios very often for me).

Just give it time, and maybe you'll learn to love. :cool:

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mysterious Traveller has a quiet side to it too.....one of my favorite Weather Report albums! As big a fan I am of Jaco, I always favored the Alphonso Johnson years.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have limited exposure to alphonso except for on the 'live and unreleased' 2-disc. I really like all the tracks he plays on there. One of the grooves knocks me flat each time

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Aww yeah, can't forget Havona. Some days that is my favorite Jaco tune.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It does have some pretty cheesy keyboard tones...

11. What can I say, man, you're wrong :smug:

Havona is to me probably the best bass-song recorded ever.

12. Birdland...nuff said

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Try "Sweetnighter", my favorite.

14. Desi

Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    Heavy Weather clicked with me the very first time I heard it, heck, the very moment Jaco's bass came in during Birdland, I was shedding tears. Best opening track to an album ever.

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Harlequin, 'nuf said :cool:

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As a teenager, I bought Mysterious Traveler when it first came out on the recommendation of NME (New Musical Express magazine) - but was bemused and just set it aside as an oddity - when Heavy Weather came out, I wasn't sure, but bought it and it blew me away as exactly what I was expecting - it really hit me as an album ...

But that was a long time ago and I think the vinyl sounded better and it was the early years of polyphonic synths, which sounded great at the time - but listening back, do sound less convincing in hindsight..

I've never liked any of the CD versions of Heavy Weather as much as the vinyl - I think the brightness and clarity of CD makes it all sound too "artificial" - whereas I remember on vinyl it sounded more organic....?

Although it could also be that the person who listened in 1976 is very different to me in the 2000s...;)

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: A Remark You made.
    Is the reason I picked up a fretless Bass.
    Great Album.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - but I think a lot of people don't even hear that as bass - they think it's some kind of Joe Zawinul synth...:meh:

I can remember playing this track to friends and going wow listen to that bass and they're like - what bass?

Jaco's sound in some places was so unexpected for that time, that many people missed it until many years later! ;)

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    have you heard black market and tale spinnin? i think those along with mysterious traveller and sweetnighter make up wr best stuff. i really like about half of heavy weather, but i love everything about the 4 albums before it. a lot of bass players get into weather report because of jaco, but make the mistake of not checking out the non jaco stuff.

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I only heard Black Market once, but it sounded very cool.