Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bit Lost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The current rig is a Eden head(Wt-550) and cabs(4x10,1x18) and it sounds just way too modern. I'm looking for a noticably warmer head in the $1,000 range, nothing over $1,200. The replacement needs to at least be a hybrid. Suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked at Ashdown amps, Ampeg SVT Classic and the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, is that all I've got in the price range?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If an eden rig sounds too modern ... you're probably looking for an SVT. Head and Cab, maybe even an older one with no tweeter if you can find it.

Or actually you might like the WT-550 with a hornless mesa boogie 2x15 cab or one of those bergantino NV cabs that don't have tweets.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm afraid that older cabs won't have enough definition. I want the warmth, but not a boomy sound.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Edens are known for being a bit "wooly", not sterile or high tech. If its too modern-sounding for you, you need an all-tube head IMO, or put an Sansamp BDDI in front of it.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I was considering using a Sansamp, but I'll definately look into cabs. I might have to go through the "grueling" task of testing out a bunch of cabs at Low Down Sound. Thanks for the advice.

6. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    +1. Speakers have a lot more to do with sound than amplifiers. Perhaps something from Ampeg?

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

With $1200 to spend you could get a nice used UL502 head and a BDDI to go in front of it. Just a thought, works for me.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I would spend some time reworking the EQ here before throwing in the towel.
    Turn of the enhance button (all the way CC) and get rid of the scooped mids.
    Start again with everything at 12 and see if you like that.
    Bring UP the mids a bit and see if you don't find that warmer.

Also, the 'boomy' sound is definitely manageable with the Eden parametric EQ. Check around 100 -120 hz iirc.

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The enhance knob has been all the way down for a year at least and the I've tried several things with the EQ, including setting all at 12, always keep the low lows on the eq pretty tame, even tried using the compressor to take back the highs a bit, but still the tone isn't quiet there. Correction: It's a WT-500 "Highwayman", if that makes a big difference.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The sansamp BDDI is a dirt cheap way to check out a more ampeggy tone ... I use one regularly with Eden and SWR rigs and it sounds great.