a bit more growl...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tony moore, Sep 24, 2005.

1. I've had Thomastik Spirocore Mediums on my Shen 100 laminate since I got it a year or so ago. They sound kinda dark and mellow but focused on this bass, and I dig that, but they're also not terribly expressive. I'd like to get just a bit more growl and personality.

FWIW - It's setup pretty low and I'm using a Fishman Full Circle, Fishman Platinum EQ thru an EA Whizzy Combo. The amplified sound is very much what the bass sounds like acoustically.

I'm assuming strings would be the biggest factor in this, but would setup also contribute to this?

Any suggestions?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Spiro mediums? Dark, mellow, not growly enough?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It might be the way that you're yanking on them. I get a growly sound out of guts...
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I get Growel out of Flexocors and Jargars! The Bass needs some tension and resistance to Growl. If the Strings are too low, they will growl less. Hold the Strings firmly to the FB b4 pluckin/squeezing the notes.
  5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Also, some basses don't growl much. I have a student with a low end Christopher and with D'Addario Hybrids it still sound very dark. The tone is good just dark.
  6. Thanks for the tips!

Before the Shen, I had an old King Moretone with Obligato's that would growl something fierce. So I don't THINK it's my technique, but I'll work on it...

The action is reeeeally low (bass came this way) and I've definetly had to alter my technique. The D and G string are so low at the nut that it's difficult to really dig in without some rattling. Could this contribute to a lack of growl?

I've raised the bridge, but it doesn't really affect the height of the strings at the nut enough.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Then you might want to consider getting the nut raised -- if for nothing else than to avoid rattling. Not being able to dig in on an acoustic instrument is a functional problem, whereas the lack of growl, while still a problem, is more of an aesthetic concern that can be addressed after the bass is no longer suffering from issues of function.