Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bit more insanity in my crazy life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    As some of you know, I am getting ready to return to military duty in the Naval reserve.

No prob...

I also have a very interesting audition coming up to join a band of guys that are really good, but more importantly - seem really cool.

No prob...

But now I have been wondering if I should "pitch in" and just rejoin the Navy active duty. I am sorely tempted, but also kind of scared. It's a big change. I am not nearly the level bass player to be in a military band, so I would go in a Radioman and my bass playing would be on hold again for I don't know how long... I love playing bass... But I love my country too...

I don't know what to do... I am going to sleep on it. I want to do it all... Maybe all I can do is the reserves.

Bleah. More confusion in my head will be brought to you free of charge tomorrow. Same bat time. Same bat channel.

2. well, i can't give an opinion, because it will be biased since i'm a 17 year old anti-war psycho...but it all comes down to one and family and friends...that's the first thing you should think of...

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my advice is: play the bass.

4. Have u discussed it with your wife? Maybe she wants you all to herself and not the nation?
    :p

What hell would i know? Play the bass.

:D:D

Merls

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Gabe, has your wife made any decisions about auditioning?

Admirable thoughts, my man. These days, it seems fewer and fewer people willing to think about their country. Maybe that's going to change tho.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks guys for your thoughts to date on this matter.

Pacman - My wife is gung ho about going reserve in the air force. She isn't sure what job she would do for them... It actually surprised the heck out of me. If I could play clarinet as well as she could, I would be all over doing it for a living. She might go for some control tower work or something though. I suspect she will know for sure pretty soon, she hasn't had time yet to actually talk to a recruiter. Her work has been socking it to her lately since she told them that she would probably be joining the service.

She has a friend who's parents were active navy and reserve army so I am asking her to talk with them about things we would need to know.

7. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I kick myself daily for not reenlisting. I tried to go back in, but the Marines don't take single parents.
    :(

My advice is this: don't obligate yourself to the government just because of the current situation. Chances are, this will be over quickly and you will still be obligated. If you feel that you really want to be a full time squid because you just really want to be a squid, then go for it. I think it is a great honor to be able to serve, even in the Navy. ;)

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ASR, is right.

Don't let the heat of the moment rush you to a decision that you might regret later on.

If you're not sure, take you time to weigh pros and cons and try to think beyond the present situation.

9. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    As an active duty sailor, I say don't get carried away by your emotions. This tragedy will pass and you'll be stuck, probably in a situation that will leave you regretting your decision for years to come. Stay civilian and play your bass, man.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey guy,

A few years back my wife was at Kadena in High School. Small world. :)

I am almost 90% decided to reup. If so, --news flash---

My recruiter just called. I let her know what was in my head. She suggested the Tar program. These are reserve duty personnel who request to go on active cruises- but retain reserve status. That would seem to be the best of both worlds. Anyone here ever done that?

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, gabu, is your haircut legal? ;)

oh, and make sure you're back in the january, we have a date, remember? ;)

12. Gabu, in my opinion your attitude is admirable. I also want to join the navy, but not for two years when I've finished University. Hey, maybe I'll see you some time? ;)

Still, I'd say that you should consult your wife and see what she thinks, and if it's something you really want to do then I'm sure she'll support you 100%.

I can think of no greater honour than to serve your country, whichever it may be.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hair... well... They may want some alterations. ;) Regarding Namm - most definately! :D Even if I have to fly a F14 there. :)

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA

That's cool. If you are getting your degree first, you will probably be an officer which is nice. More pay, more responsibility.

Thanks man! My wife is all for it... I am begining to wonder if she is trying to shoe me out the door! :eek:

15. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    The Navy sent a few boats to South America as a "Dog and Pony Show" back in 1998. They asked for Marine volunteers from 1/24 here in Houston. I didn't volunteer to go, because I had just spent a total of 18 months at sea, and that is quite enough for me for a while. They did say that it was the best of both worlds, but they have a lot of people trying to get those reserve spots.

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have some ideas to bring forth to my recruiter, thanks to the wifey.

As I have been busting my arse working on my chops and learning to read notation... My wifey has suggested that even if I go into the Service active duty as a Radioman... when I get to the point that I am ready for an audition with the Naval band... I can still request that through proper channels. I will confirm this with my recruiter and then my way seems clear. I want to serve my country. I want to be a musician. The rest is just details.

Thanks everyone very senserely for your kind support. :)