1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a bit neckheavey P bass ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've jus bought an Fender American Series P bass (butterscotch) and I'm verry pleased overall but it's a bit neckheavey.

The tuningmachines are Cast / Open-Back.Are they specially heavey?
    Is there a big difference between Cast / Open-Back and Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Lite-Bass Tuning Machines?

Otherwise is the bass really lightweight.
    3,75 kg (8 lb 5oz)

2. stevie p

stevie p

Apr 27, 2005
    Ingemar, congrats on your purchase, The tuners do weigh a bit more than grover style tuners. Just keep playing it, I promise it gets easier to manage. The thunderbird bass is by far the most neck heavy bass i've ever played, but man what a tone!!!!

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Those are the ones with the hoods. They have a good feel and are very durable. They are better than the plain open back tuners. Keep' Em.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    But Hipshot got ultralight tuning mashines with "a hood" to.

I've heard that four Hipshot ultralight weight as much as three orginal Fenders ( and that may be a considerable difference(?) )

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What size strap are you using? Try a wider thicker (leather) strap and your problem will go away. I own a MIA jazz with those tuners and have no issues with neck dive! Nor do I have that problem with any other Fender I own.

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've tested some different straps, and sure, a wider leather straps helps but it doesn't help balance the bass on my knee. :bag:

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    ON YOUR LAP? JEEZZ:rolleyes:

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    sorry:crying: