A bit of a pickle....... I need everyone's help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SONICATTACK, Apr 27, 2002.

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    here's my story.... kinda long, but I want see what everyone thinks they would do. (im just curious)

I've played bass in this christian rock band for 4 years, we've grown together and all that good stuff. built up great relationships and what-not. in the process the drummer and I have become close musically and began grooving like it's no-one's buisiness.. and also everyone in the band is like a second family to me....

Well about a year ago I began being a temorary bassist for another band with members more of my age.. (21, and Im the oldest) and with a more simplified style. (creed) where the first one is like a cross between Collective soul and Dream theater. (weird I know) anyway Well Someone at the second band's church owns a plumming company who traded 10,000 worth of time to get us into a studio. that an engineer is building where I live.. it's a resort type studio for the big time Ie: Ozzy, Alice and chains, Maria Carey.. (those are some people he has recorded before he moved) some of the members of the band went to check this place out and aparently it has 6000 sq. ft of recording room + a 4 bedroom appartment upstairs. this thing's a multi - million dollar studio.
    Since this guy is just starting this place and we would be breaking it in he told us that he'd cut us a 11 song albulm no matter how long it takes... Anyway in the process of this engineer begining the producing of our albulm which we won't even start recording untill fall.... He figures out that he actually likes us and thinks that we might go somwhere, so the next practice that he came to he brought a session drummer nammed Sha'staa who apparently has been drumming for 30 years for various bands like Santana, and a bunch of other bands that I don't remember but I know all you older folks would know... buddy holly I think was another one... he brought him cause he's going to be giving pointers to our drummer who needs a little help. Oh and did I tell you he asked who the band pulled from the most and we said oh either linkin park or Creed. then he said well I don't mess with mastering so we'll send it to them to get that done :cool: :eek: :)
    Then last practice he tells us that he's going to start a label and if we want, once the projects finished he could pass it on to a major label.....

All of this seems so unreal and totally a remake of some of my most wildest dreams where I wake up cryin cause I thought it really happened.

then relality sets in and I realize that I'm still in another band with some serious relationships and Im totally connected to their drummer.... where as the drummer in the other band that might be going somwhere only started playing a couple years ago.. and he doens't connect with the feel of the songs yet.
    And I guess im afraid of messing up relationships, especially since were like family..
    you fellow bassist's know how much drummers mean to us...

For those of you who stuck it out through this thread, tell me what you think. and please try to put yourself in my position . . . .

Thanks bro's and those few sis's out there
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm going thru the same thing right now kinda - i've had to focus away from the band with the guys i grew up with (including my brother) and towards the "big-time." but it's all good, because it all works out in the end.

if you end up making multi-millions, you can always quit, play with the band you really like playing with, and be set for life ;)
  3. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Wow!.....That's a tough one. Let me ask a few questions.
    1. Has your "family" band had any offers?
    2. Are you truly wanting to help "everyone"?
    3. If you come to a locked door, is it wiser to stand and beat, hoping the door will open, Or use a key you have been given?

We would all agree talent now only plays a small part in the record business. It's more who you know and are you the flavor of the week. My point is if you go with the band being offered the contacts, You will soon know the contacts and they you. Would you then not be a more valuable freind, one who could potentially help them all realize their dreams.

Then again leaving your bud's behind is pretty much chicken (excretion).

Here's my best advice. Why not ask the first band what they think you should do?
    If they are truly your friends they would support you in any endeavour that has a legitimate shot at success.

Just an opinion:

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Question # 1
    No. The band has gone thru so many changes already, it was more of once we got comfortable with one style or member or what have you, somthing changed. then it was a process of recovering. so in a way this is another thing that's killing me. I don't really want to be another source of change.

Aboslutly, at least to the best of my ability. Although this is somthing that i've dreamed about, and i think it would be so cool to see it realized.

use the key.

Thank you so much for all your responces so far! this is a great help..:)
  5. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    you could do all o them at the same time! ever hear of weezer, like everybody in that band is in other bands that have recording labels. oh we,, jsut my .02, sorry if i wasnt any help.

6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Three things:

1) This belongs in MISCELLANEOUS.

2) Good luck with your decision, however it turns out.

3) Your quote in your sig SLICK519: "The greatest imperfection is perfection itself" (Peter Bauer, a.k.a. Slicks), makes absolutely no sense. As a sound byte, this doesn't work. "The greatest imperfection is perfection!? Whatever. Sounds like pseudo-philosophical bulldonkey. Sounds like someone trying desperately to be clever, when in fact they're not. You see, you can't say the greatest pizza is a lasagna, because guess what, lasagna is not pizza! Perfection is perfection, and therefore perfect. Once you try and say that perfection is imperfect, than you are negating the inherent definition or value of a word, once you do that, language and communication have no meaning, and in fact, they have a great deal of meaning.
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I know I would tell a member of my "family" to take advantage of what seems to be a great opportunity.
  8. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Hey, I may be only 14, adn a self proclaimed genius,:p , but im thinking that some one should open up his/her mind a little bit. But since you have a big vocabulary, ill change it for you, just for you.......

=w= Slicks =w=

by the way, what arse hole said that lasangna is pizza?

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Thanks everyone!!!
    You guys are awsome! I think I made my decision... Im going to tell them (family band) that this project is going to require more attention on my part. And that my priority's will need to shift. And then I'll just go from there. how ever they take it is totally out of my control, but I belive that we all love eachother and want the best.. at least I do for them. so I hope they feel the same for me. Although it's going to be really hard.

Every once and a while an opertunity comes up, it doesn't necisarily have anything to do with you, or anything you did... it's just a gift. This is something that I just can't pass up.

I really don't deserve any thing like this, Im not that great of a bass player, Im an average musician I guess. but this did present itself to me so I'm the one who has to make a decision.

I don't want this thread to close by these thoughts, keep them comming!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SONIC, here's what I'm gonna do for you. I will send strong karmic vibrations for a circumstance to occur that will cause the drummer in the new band to be unable to continue. Nothing drastic, you know. Nervous breakdown, moving away, whatever. You then can at least bring in your pal drummer.

A cautionary note. If the new thing turns out to be a flash in the pan, a pig in a poke, or some other cliche, you're going to have some patching up to do on the home front.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sonic, I think that the best thing to do would be to talk it over with the other band first.

If they are agreeable, and you have enough time on your schedule, why not be in both projects?

My main gig is playing in church, which I do to glorify God and for personal enjoyment.

My paying gig is an oldies band, which is fun, but is done mostly for money.

I also have another project going with the guitarist from the oldies band, and my best friend, who is a drummer.

I juggle all three of these, along with a full time job and a wife & 2 kids.

It can be done.

Good luck!:cool: