Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bit of a speaker problem.. need help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I recently bought a Trace Elliot stack for a VERY good price.
    The stack consists of a 350W TE head, 4x10"(1048H) and 1x15"(1518) TE cabinets.

I have noticed that when I go over a certain volume the sound from the 15" becomes a wee bit distorted, sort of like I´m using an overdrive pedal.
    It gets louder as the volume is turned up higher.
    I disconnected the 15" from the stack and the rig sounded fine using just the 4x10" so I have isolated the problem to the 15" cabinet.

Have you got any idea what I am up against?
    Loose stuff within the cabinet?
    Faulty wiring?
    Faulty speaker/driver?
    Is this repairable?

I have already tried taking the grill of and tightened the screws on the speaker, but to no avail.

Now for the second part of my question:
    If my speaker is total, then I obviously have to buy a new one. Does anyone know what kind of drivers Trace Elliot used in it´s speakers from '93-'96?
    What kind of speaker is the closest to the TE sound?
    Eminence? JBL?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help!

2. jamieh1200

jamieh1200

Jan 24, 2003
    hi,

if you have both cabs connected to the amp, the total impedance of the two cabinets in parrallel will be halfed. example 2* 8ohm in parrallel will be then become 4 ohm.This means the amp can distribute its full power into the cabinets easier and therefore clip due to all the power supply power being distrubuted to the speakers. When u unplugged the single 15 it effectivly doubled the the load impedance meaning the amp would no longer be distributing total power output, resulting in an unclipped clean signal. If its not that some times lead out wires can touch the back of the cone when longer cone excursions are made at higher power. Sometimes very rarly the chassis can rattle or vibrate if the speaker has been dropped and the magnet assembly has been damaged. i hope i have helped.

jamie

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

I think that the problem is not due to clipping. The overdriven sound starts with the volume at 1, everything under is fine. (Volume 1 not beiing 1 o´clock, but just at 1).

Regarding your other solution..
    What options do I have? Replace the speaker?

4. Icez, to me that sounds like a broken speaker...

Have you taken the speakers out of the cabinet?

What are the ratings for resistance, on your amp & cabs?

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The head is 350W at 4 Ohms.
    The 4x10" cabinet is 8 Ohms and the 1x15" is also 8 Ohms.

And no, I have yet to take the speaker out, I guess that´s my next step.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    im sorry to be a downer... but that VERY good price you got might have been for a reason. I would contact whoever you bought the stack from and see what he can do for you. If the 15 distorts at very low volumes, it sounds like the actual speaker itself is having a problem. I doubt that anything is loose in the cabinet, as that generally would produce an obnoxious rattle vs. a distorted sound. the speaker driver itself could be blown, or the voice coil could be rubbing. If the seller refuses to do anything for you, I would take the entire cabinet to a speaker repair shop, and have someone look at it. I wouldn't go to a music store, but a place that deals specifically in speakers. good luck!

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the replies. I did suspect that the problem lay within the speaker, just wanted to be sure.

I am not going to bug the former owner about this. He hadn´t used the rig for the past 4 years, so I can hardly blame him.

But can anyone advise me of a good replacement speaker?

8. Eminence.. A lot of brands use these. I like mine.. :)

You might be able to find a TE speaker on ebay, so check that out.

Also! Celestion! I tihnk some TE cabs used these. I have one of those, it's old, but it sounds ok. I like the eminence better.. :)

Its vague, I know.. But I hope that helps.. :)

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the suggestions..... I´m first going to check the speaker out though. Luckily for me, an audio repair shop is in the same hallway as our practice facility, I might even let them have a go at it first. I even saw a 1x15" TE cab in their shop a couple of days ago! :)

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bleh, the wonders of the INTERNET!!

I went to google and typed in the following keywords: Trace Elliot 1518

It brought me straight to the www.activebass.com website where I found out the these cabs use the Celestion driver.
    Hooray!

11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you might be able to forego the cost of a new speaker by having that speaker repair shop recone the driver thats curently in there. it will sound and behave as new, the cabinet will be properly tuned, and it will probably cost half of what a new speaker would.

I say all this assuming that in fact, the speaker is the problem, and a recone would fix it. but im not a professional, so id let them check it out and see what they say.

12. Are you sure? Recones are expensive...

:)

13. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    TE uses Celestion speakers, as I know

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    im not sure about a recone, but if theres a chance it will save you 80 bucks or so id say its worth checking out.

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Definitely recone it! It's always cheaper and it's essentially a brand spanking new speaker except for the basket.

17. I have a similar problem to Ívar Þórólfsson's, though i don't think the answer is the same for mine so i thought i'd try here.

I also have a TE 350W RASMX GP 12 head. i run a TE 300W quadbox and a TE 200W 15" speaker box - one of the half sized ones.

Most of my gigs usually consist of in mid sized nightclubs and pubs playing coversongs where the pa does most of the work.The band consists of two marshal 100W + quads, drums, keys and vox playing mostly top 40 rock stuff. i've found that it takes quite bit of volume from my rig to get some clarity and punch into the mix.

My problem is that i get a barking distortion when i run the whole rig all together at 3 to 4 o'clock. even there it just doesn't seem loud enough, and i don't get the low end punch im looking for.

I've tried both speaker boxes on their own and get the same effect at 3 to 4 o'clock. the distortion rolls in, but not as bad as it is when they are in combo.

The head is about 6 years old and was serviced last year. the quad box is a little older i think - if you know your TE gear its the model without sound holes seen in newer models, it has reds stripes and a horizontal port across the front. the 15" 200w is newer, maybe 2 or 3 years old.

I'm not sure if there maybe something wrong with the amp or maybe i should lower my expectations of what kind of level of volume it should be able to produce with clarity.

What kind of volume should i expect? What's the point of having a volume knob that goes to 10 when i can't go past 4 without distortion?

Is it the clipping thing talked about previously?

18. i posted this as a new thread 'cause i noticed that this one hasn't been touched in a while..