A bit of advice would be cool....lol

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Roundabout, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Roundabout

Jul 14, 2005
    hey, im new here and i joined just to ask this question.

Ok i have an olp stingray 5 string, its an alright bass, for the money ,but i never use the B . and i always wanted a fender bass , cant decided between j and p but thats a different story, and just the thought of those basses give me really bad gas.

But this is my problem. I kinda have a **** amp.....i think lol.
    I dont know even if it is a bass amp, i used it for my guitar for awhile, but it seemed very bass heavy, so when i first got my bass thats what i ussed, and it didnt damaged the speaker or anything . It gives me a decent sound, but what can you expect from a small combo, you know? So because of that, ive been looking at the SWR la series of amps and they are looking pretty good for the price, i want something in the 250-300 range, because thats all i have , the only way to get a new bass is to sell my old one, and a few pedals lol.

So what do you guys think i should do?

what im thinking of doing is buy the amp, try to get a pretty good deal, and replace the humbucker in my olp with a duncan, which will really improv the sound , and help me attain a more mm sound lol, cause thats what i really want .

so any opinions would be appreciated , ,thanks
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ill sell ya my old crate 100 watt amp for 20 bucks +shipping : P

its still got a few weeks left of use in it !
  3. If your bass is playable to your standards, go for the amp first.
    Then a bass...
    Then a new amp...
    Then a new bass...

4. There's the story of my life!

New amp... bass... amp..... bass..... effects.... PA! :eek: amp.... bass.... amp..... PA..... mixer.... pedalboard... effects... :help:

Go for the amp first and then look at your pickups/bass. Do you like the feel and playability of the olp? If you do the sound can be changed much cheaper than a new bass would cost.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A crappy bass is going to sound like crap outta a crappy amp.

A nice bass is going to sound like crap outta a crappy amp.

A crappy bass might sound ok out of a good amp...

A nice bass WILL sound great out of a good amp.
  6. Roundabout

Jul 14, 2005
    actually i really like the feel of my olp, but the gas kinda took over lol, i got that way w/ stompboxes, i had something like 7 distortion pedals lol, sad, but those werent for my bass

So yea im just gonna go with what i was thinking about doing, getting the swr , those la series are pretty nice for the cost arent they?, and in your opinion is there anybetter ones out there? like galien kruger or somethiing? my limits around 300.

this should probobly be in the amp topic but i dont want to go around starting threds when we're already havinga discussion about it
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    SWR LA series are NOT nice for the price, brand new or otherwise. Get yourself a USED SWR Workingman's series combo. MUCH, MUCH better quality, and you can find them used for what the LA series costs new.
  8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    or better yet don't get any swr's get either a hartke B900 or a B600both excelent for the price
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'd say amp.

Look used-i got a SWR WorkingMan's 12 for i think $350 +s&h from BassNorth West earlier this summer.

So-i'd check out a few different online bass sites that you trust-if you know what you want to buy, and do it that way if you can't find anything used locally.

I tried out the amp in a local store-then got one used. :)

That's all