A bit of criticism please...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BTBbassist, Nov 12, 2002.

1. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Hey guys!

So here is the latest bit of music from my band August . I'm pretty happy with it, but I know its very far from perfect.

So basically, could ya'll help us us out and express what you like and don't like, and any ways we could make it better? :confused:

We're a typical 4 man band, mainly classic rock influences, but a bit of artsy grunge...lol.

I've linked 2 songs...

Your Hero

2. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Not bad man, not bad.

The second track sounds a lot better to me....just the tones. But both songs seem pretty solid to me.

The style's not my cup of tea, but I can see where you're coming from.

3. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Thanks for the reply and taking the time to listen to the songs, RedV. I really appreciate your input.

Anyone else?
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just listened to the mp3s. It sounds pretty decent. The first song seemed kinda boring, but that's probably just the mood I'm in. ;) The second song definately sounded better to me. I like the bass solo in it, nice job. :D
  5. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey no problem man!

6. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Cool songs. I definatly liked the second one much more. The solo was awesome. Might just be me but the drums sound kinda weak, espically the snare at times. Overall I like it. Good job.
  7. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Damn! That's pretty sweet. Was this home mastered? The recording is good, esp. for mp3s. :)
    I think "Given" has potential, but it seems to me that the drums and bass don't lock in quite right at some spots. Maybe its just me?
    "Your Hero" rocks. I really like the mix on this one. The bass line is tight, the drums are solid, and the guitars drone. Slightly reminiscant of the 80's, I think.
    But I may be way off the mark, I'm just a newbie. :D
  8. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Yea, it was home mastered using DP3. We're all pretty happy with the quality. When we go back and lay down the other tracks, we're going to go back over these, and fix them up a bit. Ther are a lot of spots where the drums and I lose it in "Given"

"Your Hero" definately has a lot of 80's influence, especially with the vocal harmonies. I really like them though, they add a lot IMO. Can't forget the little bass solo. :D

I appreciate all the comments. I've written then down and will use them when we go back into the studio. :eek:

9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I checked out "Your Hero" and thought it was a totally kick ass track. Great song, and some tasty bass playing.

But man, the mix. You said that's home done. It blows me away. It puts some "Professional Studio" recordings I've heard, to shame.

Keep up the good work. :)
  10. I'll say. It sounds at least as good as our demo and we paid £150 for it.

"Your Hero" is a great track, well done. I agree that the vocal harmonies are cool, but the bass solo was just awesome, I wasn't really expecting it given the style of the music. The bass is great throughout, actually. So keep it up :).
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just to let you know I have some grounding as a "music critic" - I was the music critic for the U. of MO paper when I was a student there and sold my reviews here and there after I graduated for 10 cents.

The first cut - the seductive, low volume, sort of "mysterious' intro works very well in terms of what the masses expect and want, IMO.
    But when the intensity builds up suddenly, you and the guitarist really need to let "the hammer down" and slam the sound.
    I know from being in the studio how it goes - you can think your sound is crushing but when you hear the final product, it sounds too wimpy. My advice - BANG IT after that interesting intro. Send those VU meters into the red!!!!

The second cut - Very commerciallly viable and good, IMO.
    BUT!!!! - See how you like it with some speed added!!! My prediction is that the public is getting very tired of all this mopey, dirge-rock like Disturbed and Staind. I think those guys are history......and, gee whiz, I'm an old guy!!! Let's have some fun and play fast!!!!

Whatever, I really admire anyone who has the guts to take what is probably the harshest criticism from people who play their chosen instrument. You go Girl and I wish you much success!!! I think you have a chance of breaking it!
  12. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

Rickbass, I totally agree with the "emptiness" of some parts in Given, it needs more oomph. Sounded better in the studio...of course :D Thanks for the info though, from a very experienced critique and player.

Thanks for the compliments on the bass playingand the little solo in Your Hero- its fun music to play on...even though it IS rock :eek:

Thanks for all the critiquing, when we rework it in a few weeks I'll definately use this info, and my brand new Stingray. :D

Thanks again
  13. I can only echo the comments of others. It sounds like you are very open-minded on reworking these until they positively shine. I think you do have a couple of rough gems ...