1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A bit of History for sale on EBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyla1953, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    History is 'spensive but purdy.

2. Um, if memory serves, this was his main player during the Rumors years?

Anyone?

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I always thought it was a Jazz.

4. It's pretty but I bet it weighs 30 lbs. :)

5. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    He had several, including more than one graphite neck Alembic. I saw FM during Rumors and most of the pics I've seen from that time showed John with a Series one with the bigger, standard Alembic body. Ironically, somebody's selling one from back in the day with that body shape right now - belonged to the bass player from the Isely Bros -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Alembi...s-/370919857344?pt=Guitar&hash=item565c8bdcc0.

What's interesting is that Stanley Clarke, Phil Lesh, John McVie, John Entwistle, the guy from the Iseley's and even Germaine Jackson were playing Alembics - and the electronics in each were more or less the same, Series One electronics and pickups. But they all sounded distinct and many radically different from one another playing the same bass. Alembics are really, really versatile.

6. He was playing Fenders up to Rumours, but then I remember seeing pictures with an Alembic right around that time.

This thread has some more information, seems he was in possession of this bass around the time of Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, so it could have seen some studio or stage time during that era. You'd think they might have mentioned this in the auction description.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/john-mcvie-312289/

And thanks bassman for those observations. It's a little piece of pop bass history for sure.

7. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    That thar thingy gots more switches and knobs then ma bass amp.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That is a very cool bass. However, if you are going to sell a piece of music history for well over twenty grand, PLEASE use COMPLETE SENTENCES. Or at least have someone PROOFREAD your CRAP!

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Probably a great bass.

But, check out the finish on the headstock.:rollno: 20k$ and the thing needs a refin. Obviously the graphite and the poly did not like each other over time. Probably the smart thing would be to just strip the poly and buff out the graphite. Sheesh.

10. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Was "Rumours" their top seller of all?

11. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Poor rock star -- his royalties are running out after 20 years and now he has to sell off his Alembics...

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I'm not mistaken, "Rumours" is one of the Top 10 best selling albums of all time. (At least it was until recently anyway.)

13. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    "Rumours". Please proofread your crap :D

14. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    The album might be in the top 5 best sellers....

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Well played. I fixed it.

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  17. Back in Black is number 4! That kicks arse.

18. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Note that the seller doesn't say that the authentication letter will be signed by John McVie, only that it was owned by McVie and "will come with a letter stating so."

Do Alembics really cost that much to build today?

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Looks like a perfect buy for :-

1) Mick Fleetwood
    2) Lindsey Buckingham