1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Bit of Humor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jelwood, Apr 28, 2010.

1. So it's my turn to pick on Behringer/Bugera...

I'm looking at some of these Behringer 410 and Bugera 410 cabs, and they all claim they can handle 1200 watts or so. And then there's the 3600 watt head by them. No way I'm ever going to take that seriously. I can't tell you how tempted I am to just film myself hooking up a 700 watt head or so (maybe a 1001rb-II) to one of these things and watch the speakers go like dominoes during an earthquake. Has anyone ever done this? It's not what I'd call cheap entertainment, but heck, I'd definitely get a kick out of it.

2. j4kk1

j4kk1

Mar 13, 2010
    Isn't that power handling they usually announce really just the voice coil's peak thermic power handling. If it's made of thick enough wire, it just don't melt in couple of seconds. Cones may hit the bottom, tear and crumble into dust, but that's another story.

3. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    They always rate there speakers at peak power. Cut that rating in half and you will be closer to the RMS rating most reputable companies use.

4. My 90 watt amp has a 70 watt speaker. Oh, and the Nuke is hilarious, all my bass buddies thought it was a joke too. Who the hell needs a 3600 watt amp??

5. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    A 39 year-old gear freak that lives in his semi-deaf mother's basement and listens to nothing but doom and the Grateful Dead.

6. Pacific rim manufacturers have been taking liberties with amplifier ratings for a while now. Check out cheap car amps, computer speakers or home stereos. I have seen tiny 3" speakers eith a 5" "subwoofer" that boast they can put out 360W!

As far as Bugera/Behringer claims, I am sure by some very narrow criteria they are accurate. Say one cycle of 120hz? Sure I bet their amp puts out 3600 watts for that long. I bet their cabs can handle 1200 watts for exactly 1 second.

It is especially hilarious when you do the math and realize that the amount of current draw (amperes) times 120 volts (watts are volts times amps, W = VA ) wouldnt even get you in the neighborhood of the watts these things often claim. Must be made with unobtanium or roswellite.