Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bizarre Question About Amp Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattzink, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hey all!
    i have very basic amp - an SWR L.A. Series. This amp comes with kind of a fuzzy covering on the cabinet. (It's hard to tell from these pics, and i have an older model, but you can see a pic at http://swrsound.com/products/laseries_new/la10.html) anyway, one of my cats has taken to using one side of the amp as a scratching post. as much i'd like to kick the cat out on his booty, i can't because alas, i have married into the cat. (translated: my wife had these cats when i married her.) i'm not exactly sure about training cats (is this possible?), but i thought about removing the fuzzy cabinet cover. i don't really care about the amp's looks, nor do i think it will affect the sound. i think by removing the covering material, the cat will no longer be interested in straching it. any ideas how i'd get rid of the covering material? i'm open for any ideas at all as long as they work. thanks, matt

2. I would have to assume that the cover is just glue onto the cabinet. If it is, You could jsut pull it off. You'll probably be left with spots of glue on the wood(I also assume they left the wood bare beneath the fuzzy covering), but that can be scraped or sanded away. You may just want to paint it afterwards.

3. I would de-claw the cat(s) before anything else gets clawed...including your bass. It is instinctive for a cat to sharpen its claws, if you remove one "scratching post", the cat will only look for another. Good luck.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You could always get a cover for it, or just make one out of cardboard and duct tape.

5. I'm all for getting the cat declawed but your wife might not like that. You could take off the carpet and paint the cabinet flat black but ripping it off could also take patches of plywood with it.

6. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i like the cardboard idea - that's pretty cool. getting the cats declawed is unfortunately not an option. the wife won't hear of getting them capped OR removed! it has been a minor source of tension between us. the cats all and all are very good about using their little scratching box. there's one (there's two total) who's too dimwitted/stubborn to stop using my amp. i guess they're good kitties, but i'm not much of a cat person truth to be told. but thanks for the input so far - looking forward to hearing more ideas.

7. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    p.s. my wife suggests putting foil on the part the cat scratches, as cats don't care for foil for some reason. i don't like the idea of my amp sitting in a corner with bits of foil dangling here and there. might try it anyways just to say i did. if i can, i'll post a pic tonight of the damage the culprit (goes by the name of surely) has done. i'll also post a pic of the culprit in the form of a wanted ad.

8. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I dunno. I think it will be very hard to get the carpet off. I don't think it will be worth it.
    At least the cat didn't piss on it.;)

9. What does your wife have to say when it is her stuff getting shredded? My wife also brought a cat into our marriage. When kitty used my grandfather clock as a scratching post, to my wife it was "no big deal"> After kitty sliced and diced the chair my wife got from grandma,however, the fur flew for days.

10. Cats are pretty intelligent. If you hiss at them when caught in the act and bat them lightly on the nose they get the message scratching the bass cabinet is a bad thing to do. Our cats seem to know that scratching nice couch in living room is bad, but crappy chair in basement is ok. You probably have to earn their respect though, by being nice to them first :)

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    They have repellant sprays that are supposed to keep cats away from furniture and such. I never used em, so I can't verify if they work. You can find them in most pet stores.

12. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Dude,
    Just put some dog urine on your amp and the cat won't go by it.

But seriously folks, Either make a scrachting post for it or buy one from Walmart. If you don't have the money to buy one look ay em in the store and they are real easy to make. Good Luck

13. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    One way of trying to teach your cat to stay away from your amp is to shoot him/her with a water gun (not with those huge super soakars) when your cat gets caught on scratching your amp. My wife has seen this method being recommended in internet cat forums. We have two cats and fortunately they stay away from our amps, basses and guitars. Usually we keep our music room at home door closed so that our cats don't get too much around there. Good luck. BTW, amputating claws is a cruel practice which fortunately is illegal here in Europe. Imagine having your finger nails removed ...

14. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Another way of communicating with the beastie is the following.
    Don't laugh too hard, it has worked for me, I have been dealing with cats since I was 5 (long time ago).

Take the cat to the speaker. Hold front legs carefully and make claw-sharpening motions against cabinet with them (nothing mean, do it gently).

Now gently hold the cat down with one hand and sniff loudly with head over cat. Then with free hand, make motions of scraping dirt over cat. Do it a couple times and let cat go. Repeat whenever you need to.

Believe it or not, this is telling the cat "you are sh%% when you scratch this".

A few times of that, has worked with every cat I have had. A reminder if it wears off is acceptable.

If the cats don't like you, have your wife do it. You have to be on good enough terms to get the cat to let you pick it up.

Provide a nice scratching post elsewhere and you should be good to go.

BTW, get used to cats, they are really pleasant critters. Ours act like dogs, they come over and shove their head under your hand for attention. And if they like you, they will tend not to mess with your stuff.

BTW
    That carpet stuff is hard to get off the cab, and afterwards it looks horrible. Not recommended.

15. Cats hate citrus juice. They sell orange extract that is used as an air freshner, and spraying your cab with this might help quite a bit. Good luck friend.

16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I hate, loathe, despise, ect., carpet on cabs, for the cat reason.

17. Have your amp on (loud) and bass plugged in then when the cat starts scratching you can start slapping and popping like a mad man. That should shock the hell out of him. Maybe not a good idea when the wife is at home.

18. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you don't care what it looks like, just let the cat scratch.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    How about putting some sort of cover over the cabinet?

20. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i checked this thread today, thinking that no one had probably responded - there is some incredible stuff here! wanted to respond to a few:
    1. to the guy from europe: yeah, my wife believes that altering the cat in anyway (except spaying/neutering) is not cool. i guess i agree, just not to the same extent. ji'm relatively indifferent. i like the cats well enough - they make me laugh. but i'd probably like them a lot more if they were outdoor cats. frankly, they'd probably find the outdoors a lot less boring than our house.
    2. winning the cats trust is going to be a hard one. i don't abuse the cats. however, when i do scold them, i'm a bit more firmthan my wife. (sharp, loud, raspy "no!" that tends to make them jump up and run.) i also don't let them do the things my wife does. for instance, she let's them lap melted ice cream out of a bowl when she's finished. i loathe it - it turns them into scavengers and beggars. when i remind her that feeding animals human food can be form of cruelty, she scoffs at this. but enough about that, as i'm not out to get marraige advice here. my wife and i are doin' just fine.
    3. i will take the advice about "how would you feel if the cat was clawing your (insert valued wife object here)."
    4. i will try some of the other ideas and get back to you guys if it has worked. next time i buy an amp, i will consider covering!
    5. i posted this very question last year at a cat lover's message board - not one single response. thanks for your help, bassists of the world!