Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A black Vigier Arpège on ebay = Wo hoo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanookanono, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Quite rare in US, enough to mention a few words...

I noticed on ebay a Vigier Arpege' 4 String now for sale (Item number: 7307239456).

After reading description, I know the seller is mistaking.
    He thinks his bass is a carbon graphite / french maple composite neckthrough bass ( series 2 , post 1989 ).

I think this is a series 1 pre 1889 for good reasons :

He tells about a Delta Metal material plate between the entire length of the fingerboard... So this was only on series 1. :hyper:

history...
    For elder series I from 1980 to 1986, necks were whole wood ( french maple and walnut center laminate ) with phenolic fretboard and a metallic plate under fretboard plus trussrod. Then series II necks were whole carbon/epoxy. Now on series III necks get 90/10 system, which means two carbon stringers for reinforcment and no more trussrods.

He couldn't know because when Vigier began series 2 basses, for Arpege he went from number 1 again :smug: , and now on his forum you can read numbers but only for series 2 and 3... :confused:

Whith a few musicians in France, our opinion is that these early series ones are most collecticable instruments, incredible craftmanship, could compete easily with Fodera or Alembic ( neckthrough ones speaking )...

2. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Oh my, I might have to buy this one.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That would definately be the oldest electric bass known to man! Gotta be worth some serious cash!! ;)

Kinda cool- very similar to a Ric actually....

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I have two Arpege IIIs and they are amazing! Mine are newer and have the 10/90 neck system. If you're wondering, they stay perfectly stable in hot Southern summers. Very versatile and they have really fast response. I say someone should get it! :)

5. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I owned an Arpege in the late 80`s, very good bass with a sweet slap-tone. Sounded a bit like a Zon bass I played once(Sonus?).
    When I listen to recordings from those days, I can`t believe I sold it.

6. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Very nice. I am a member of the Vigier club here too. They are simply fantastic basses, although I do prefer the passion series. I have a 95 fretless d/metal and an 89 fretted. The fretted has two basstec humbuckers right at the back as opposed to the origional single coils; sounds amazingly powerful. I wish I could afford this arpege!!

7. Can someone explain why this bass is so sought after..?? Does anyone know any more of the history behind it?... :bassist: Thank you

8. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Vigier basses are pretty rare in the states so are sought after in that respect; but the main draw is the sound. They are fantastic basses which compare favourably to others in the price range and beyond. The build is top notch and as nanookanono pointed out, there are a few different phase models out there which are collectable (if only as an excuse to buy more basses!)

Nanookanon, a few other members here and I are massive fans of Vigier basses for their feel and sound. Nanook has a message board dedicated to vigier basses (especially series II's from what I remember?) which is a fun read. Im sure he will point out some interesting things about Vigier I have missed but im pretty sure Patrice Vigier was the first to use graphite in a bass or something like that? Perhaps someone can correct me on this!

Thanks