Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A blast from the past.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, our band's leader wants to add Elton John's "The Bitch is Back" to our setlist. No Prob. I played that back in '78 or so. So I put it in the CD player and go to work. First, use a pick or not? I did it with a pick before, so I brushed up on that (I don't use a pick any more). Alright, no problem with that. Now how do I get the right tone? I tried my RB5 and Jazz FMT V, but they've just got too much bite, no matter what. So I tried it finger style, and that took some of the edge off the tone, but the attack was a little soft. Not too mention that those are some pretty quick little 16th notes. Doable, nonetheless.

Now, I don't remember having these problems 25 years ago, but then again, I was playing a P-bass then. Then I remembered watching Elton in concert, and last night on TV, and BINGO! Dee Murray plays Stingrays! So I went into the bass archive and dug out my SR5, which hasn't been out of its case in at least a year, and plugged it in. Still in tune, too!

Well, if you want that Stingray sound, you gotta get a Stingray. Everything fell into place and now it sounds right. I tried using the SR5 on Josie ... no dice, although Tom Barney used an SR5 at least part of the time the last time I saw Steely Dan.

So there you are. The SR5 may be a one-trick pony, but when you need to do that one trick, it's the pony for you.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Played :(

-robert

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Oh man I love it...lol

when I picture it I see a walk-in closet with basses everywhere!

I'm glad you figured out your trick problem with your trick pony.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So is he dead, or did he switch to Ibanez? Or is that essentially the same thing?

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Zap!!

Died in '92... Music lives on though...

-robert