1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A 'boomy"cab question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Feb 26, 2008.

1. After doing a search on how to tame a boomy cab, I was going to go the route of an EQ to dial out the low mids.

If I go with a graphic EQ what number of "bands" should I be looking for. I.E. will a 7-band EQ pedal be enough, or should it be a 20-some band EQ?

Thanks for the input.

K-C

2. When using EQ to solve a specific problem I find a parametric is generally more helpful than a graphic.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. Yup parametric, stick the boost on full without having your amp too loud (but loud enough for it to projecting itself properly of course) then find the boomy frequency and cut it. If possible find a fully parametric pedal rather then a semi-parametric, it might be a very narrow frequency range effecting your sound and you might destroy your low end with a semi-parametric.

I could bang on about the Enhance control on my Laney for the umpteenth time, but basically gets rid of boom and cuts a very narrow frequency range. One of most predominant frequencies on my graph is one pretty much right next to where it cuts, but it still sounds very tight but maintains depth.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1 on parametric. Even a 31 band graphic doesn't work as well for narrow bandwidth notch filtering.

6. Ander,

Sorry 'bout that.

7. Thanks for the input everyone, I'm off to look into the parametric EQ world.

Any suggestions for brands or units?

8. I'm not too sure about brands but just make very very very sure it's fully parametric, the control that makes it fully parametric is called a "Q" if I remember correctly.

Just in case you don't already know the pedal/unit won't effect your tone if it's any good, otherwise it's probably got naff parts in or perhaps for some strange reason (unless it's a DI box/pre-amp of some persuasion) it colours the sound without any EQ.