Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A boosted Fender Jazz Deluxe or a Pedulla

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shri, Apr 2, 2004.

Which bass would you choose?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2004.
  1. American Fender Jazz deluxe with J retro and ultra Jazz Pickups

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Pedulla thunderbird

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Pedulla rapture

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    It's going to be a weird threat maybe but i just can't decide between an American Fender jazz deluxe 2002 equipped with J retro preamp and dimarzio ultra jazz pickups, a Pedulla thunderbird from 1992 Neck through of course, and a Pedulla Rapture (don't know which one yet, maybe the J2). I know i'm crazy but i can't decide, need your help and experience guys. I love warm and round sounds but still want punch also and nice slap tone. I know two of the basses are made by a luthier (pedulla) and maybe it's crazy to compare them to the fender, but it's a hot fender!!! by the way they are all 4 strings. :D

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Play 'em... pick the one the makes you weak in the knees.

3. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    LOL ! the problem is that i can't try a rapture as my dealer doesn't have one... :meh: is it similar to the thunderbird? i just really liked the thunderbird and thought the rapture would be great with active jazz pickups and a three band electronic.

4. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    by the way, the fender has swamp ash body because of the cherry sunburst color.

5. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

The Thunderbolt (not bird) and Rapture are very different basses. The Rapture is more like a jazz, and the Thunderbolt is more like a P Bass (in my opinion)

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    mmm... well thanks for the info ! i still have to hear one... has someone got sound clips?

7. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    oh this is a great battle at the poll !! lol ! how's gonna win? fender? pedulla? :hyper: :D

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :D :D sorry i must have been drunk!!!!!!!!! it's not pedulla thunderbird but THUNDERBASS !!! LOL!!! shame on me... :spit:

9. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Man you cannot go wrong with the Rapture J2. Those are top notch Jazz-style axes, and the build quality on them is sick. One of those is on my short list of future acquisitions.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmnope. They're similar. I played a Rapture before I bought my T-bolt, and the tone is comparable. And there ain't no stinkin' P-bass on earth that can growl like that T-bolt.

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :D i was talking about the THUNDERBASS actually, the Neck through then. :meh:

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    And why did you vote the rapture J2 instead of the thunderbass??

13. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Sorry Munji. Not trying to offend. Just my opinion

:)

Don

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's funny. I looked at it and read Thunderbolt. After seeing comments I looked back and read thunderBIRD. That's odd. I knew Pedulla made a Thunderbolt so I read thunderbolt. I wonder how often I read things differently than they are because I expect them to be different.

15. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    LOL ! sorry actually i meant thunderbass ! :D the thunderbird bass is from gibson only i think. :meh:

16. fyrehawk

fyrehawk

May 19, 2004
    Sedona Az
    dabshire is right, they are very different basses. I have a Thunderbolt (the bolt on model) and the Rapture is probably my next bass. The "Soapbar" pickups in the "Thunder" series, are thicker, fatter, more like the "P" bass. While the Rapture's single coil style, is cleaner, has better definition, cuts thru better in a mix, or with several instruments.
    The last Rapture that I played, also had a little hotter, more "modern" sounding preamp.

They are "similar," in the way a Fender P and J bass, are "Similar".

Hawk

17. ;)

18. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have the Pedulla Rapture J2000 5-string. It's the sweetest bass I ever heard. It feels right in my hands. And the best B string I ever played. I can highly recommend it. But I have seen good reviews of the Dimarzio-East pre combo.

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Munji, does your Thunderbolt have 17mm spacing?

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, and I like it. Most of the ones I've seen at GC lately have the 19 mm spacing, which I think more people prefer. You can order them either way.