A brave step into the world of cab's and heads (Help!!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crosh, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Hello everybody,

I've been toying with the idea of 'upgrading' my rig with the purchase of a cab+head to give me better sound, more power and move more air than my overworked little 60w combo can possibly manage.

Just played a gig at a private party last night and watched the vid this morning - i could hear myself but the sound was just a little flat and my amp (Laney HCM60B) was pushing 7 on my volume control (including half gain!). I also blew my original stock speaker last week and had to get a 120w one to replace it and to prevent another blowout.

So here's the big question......How do i start of in the world or 'real' amps?! Here's some of my options;

1.Second hand gear and/or combination of old + new
    2.Splash out on a brand new rig
    3.Daisy-chain a more powerful cab (2x10" or 1x15") from my combo
    4.Speakerhole.com - anyone sussed these guys out yet. I live in the UK so the shipping may kill me.

Anyone have any recent experiences or purches they would recomend/warn me off? I'm on a budget of about £400-£500 (hey i'm a student!) if anyone has a real good suggestion though i may be tempted to splash out.

Keep Rockin' and help a simple confused bassist.....
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The main thing you need is juice!!!!

60 watts is about 1/10 of where you ought to be. IF you live in the UK, you can probably buy Trace Elliot much more affordably than I can in the states. If you can find any head and cab in decent shape, I'd snatch that up.

I don't know if Carvin ships to the UK, if so, check with them. I think 500 pounds is about a thousand American dollars. Maybe a bit less. Carvin stuff is not the greatest sounding on the market, but is fairly tough and you can get a ton of power cheap.

ANY rig with 200-300 watts or more is going to outperform that Laney.

3. I always go for the used gear cause I know how to fix it myself. So take into consideration if you buy used that you may have to repair it or pay to have it repaired. If you repair it yourself, you can get some nice gear for cheap.

If you want the cheapest, go used with the above warning. If you want a warranty and can afford it, get brand new. Or a combination like a new head and used cab.

If you've got 400 quid (is that right? I'm american:D), that's like $800 right? You should be able to get what you want I'd guess. I don't know how much gear goes for in the UK.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    To answer your questions.

Solid state amps have a fairly long life. I would certainly recommend a better quality used amp over a lesser quality new one if money is tight. IF it works, it is probably ok.

A few quick tips:

1. Listen for strange noise when it powers up. IF it pops persistantly, I'd probably find something else.

2. Excessive noise is bad.

3. SMELL IT!!! I am serious. pick that dude up and give it a couple of huge whiffs. IF you smell the slightest burnt smell. Pass it over.

Speakers are a little different. I have bought used cabs before, you you need to be a little more careful in inspecting used speakers.

For speakers:

1. Closely visually inspect the cones. Make sure they are fully intact, unpatched and not dry rotted.

2. Play it at moderate volumes. Listen for physical rattling in the cones/voice coils.

3. Play it at the loudest possible volume that you think you'll ever use it. IF the person selling it won't let you do that, buy from someone else. Many cabinets sound fine until you really through so power into them.

Adding a cabinet won't help much. You need power.
  5. Cheers for your help guys. Its given me something to chew over....

What kinda brands do you recommend? I've heard a little about TraceElliot and i'm trying to find them on-line Chasarms. I also hear good things about Peavey and Mesa/Boogie.

Throbbinnut - i was thinking the same thing about a new head and used cab. Is there anything i should look out for when matching this lovely couple (aside from being scammed). I'm not much of a gearhead, but i can have any tech-speak translated by a friend of mine (handy!).

I think i'm gonna look for stuff in the 300w (amp) range. Here's some prices from a local shop;

Peavey B/Widow 1x15" cab = £215
    Peavey 4x10" cab = £315
    Peavey Session head 200w = £314
    Marshall 1x15" + 2x10" cab = £359

Seems a little on the pricey side.....
  6. imo, 300+ watts wouldn't suffice for a stadium w/out a PA. (you're talking about a whole band scene, right?) I think 300+ watts would be okay for a smaller size venue like a bar. i borrow my cousin's 600 watt carvin head and his 4x10 ampeg for small gigs.....i wouldn't even THINK of bringing my carvin combo.

maybe another brand you can look into is hartke? they have pretty reasonable prices. i'm just working my buttoff so i can get my own cab for my hartke head.