A brief tribute to Dave Carpenter

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by general rocker, Mar 20, 2019.

1. I thought a forum dedicated to all things bass should have at least one thread dedicated to one of the most talented musicians I've had the opportunity to know. Prolific musician and bassists, Dave Carpenter.

I had the opportunity study with Dave before Buddy Rich snatched him up from a Dayton OH band called the North Berlin Sunday's Club back in the 80s. I followed Dave's career and had the opportunity to watch his development, as he became a master of the 6 string. Dave died at the age of 48, taking with him his brilliant expression and technical mastery, while leaving a library of wonderful bass lines every aspiring bassist might do well to study. I say, thanks Dave, for all the great music and inspiration!

Discography

Dave Carpenter | Credits | AllMusic

Dave Carpenter - Wikipedia

gebass6, JimK, kobass and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What an inspiration! RIP Mr. Carpenter.:(

3. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Dave Carpenter was incredible. There are YouTubes of him playing with Buddy Rich during the set when it’s just Buddy, Dave and Bill Cunliffe playing a feature, specifically playing All Blues. Dave’s conception was very deep then when he was only into his early 20’s. Later, before his untimely death, he was playing a lot of upright in L.A. He was a great upright bassist as well. I know musicians who were with him on Buddy’s band and they all agreed his ears and ability were phenomenal. Dave died way too soon, even so he deserves so much more recognition.

4. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I got to hang out with Dave for some time around '98-'99. A very cool guy. He even got me a gig shooting for B-Band which led to me meeting some of LA's studio heavys like Carl Verheyen, Tim Pierce and even Larry Carlton. I also went to many of his gigs including Andy Summers, Mose Allison & Alan Holdsworth. Heady times to say the least. Here are a couple of studio shots:
    DAVE-06.jpg

DAVE-18.jpg

And one with him playing live with Alan Pasqua & Peter Erskine:
    DAVE-16.jpg

After moving away from LA I tried to reconnect with him. Unfortunately, he passed before that ever happened.

jerry likes this.
  5. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for these pictures. They are incredible! A number of my friends were on the same edition of the Buddy Rich Band that Dave was in. There are many stories of his unbelievable musical talent not to mention the fact that everyone thought he was a great guy.

nixdad likes this.
  6. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I got to hang with Carp a bit as we played with a lot of the same people. I thought he was especially great with Allan Holdsworth (on the Sixteen Men of Tain album). A great loss for sure - his presence in the LA scene is greatly missed.

nixdad likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021